swimming in too much chlorine

I shocked the pool and ran to the store for more test strips. When I got home my 17 year old and her friend were in the pool. The chlorine level was at the top of the test. I made them get out and shower. Is this something that I should be concerned about (other than my own stupidity for not leaving a note) healthwise? I didn't think it warranted a call to poison control. How long will it take for the level of the chlorine to come down? I added more water and am leaving the cover off over night.
thank you

Welcome to TFP!

As long as there was any plausible amount of CYA, which there is sure to be in an outdoor pool, then it was probably safer than the average indoor pool. CYA reduces the activity level of the chlorine dramatically. Showering is a good idea just to be totaly safe, but I doubt there was any risk (unless the chlorine level was way above normal shock levels).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.