Need a new cover

Feb 25, 2010
Last year due to the heavy snow and ice it trashed my pool cover, need a new one this year. The local pool store offers a deal for a 25x15 oval cover (with free chemicals and air pillow) for $129.00 It has the grommets every 16" and the cable and tensioner etc... Chemicals included are two gallons of winterizer, two floating containers with tabs to release over the winter months and pump conditioner etc...

My question is.. I can go to the local hardware store and buy a 30x20 heavy duty tarp for $39.99... It may not look as pretty around the edges but I can buy the cable and tensioner for $10 plus maybe $20-30 for the chemicals.

Anyone ever use a regular tarp and have any luck, pros/cons etc..

Thanks

Sure could. You can also check ebay for just the cover. The tarp or a cheap cover from ebay will likely not last for more than 1 season, but the same will be the case with your local pool store deal. We have a Namco by us and offers the same type of deal, but the chems are not needed and the cover, even the deluxe model is cheap and can be had online for 1/2 the cost without them chems.

That said, I decided to try out an ArmorKote cover...suposedly has a 5year full replacement warranty for $108 shipped. The closing kit with cove at namco would have cost me $89...since I have no need for the chems, I figured I'd sring the extra few bucks and see if I can get more than a season or two out of the cover.

dmanb2b said:
Sure could. You can also check ebay for just the cover. The tarp or a cheap cover from ebay will likely not last for more than 1 season, but the same will be the case with your local pool store deal. We have a Namco by us and offers the same type of deal, but the chems are not needed and the cover, even the deluxe model is cheap and can be had online for 1/2 the cost without them chems.

That said, I decided to try out an ArmorKote cover...suposedly has a 5year full replacement warranty for $108 shipped. The closing kit with cove at namco would have cost me $89...since I have no need for the chems, I figured I'd sring the extra few bucks and see if I can get more than a season or two out of the cover.

Please tell me where you found the ArmorKote cover for that price? I googled because I need to buy a winter cover and the one I found was much higher. I thought it was just the size but I believe we are looking at the same size. I think I want a solid cover the mesh just sounds like it would let in too much mess. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Right here :goodjob:

I should be getting mine in the next day or two, so if you want to wait I can confirm if it's the real deal. Should be manufactured by HCI in Medina NY and be tan on top, blue on bottom....we'll see :roll:

I am on probably my last year of the pool store cover. What a mistake. By spending $70-$80 dollars and getting two years out of them, I would be better off buying the cheap cover on ebay (average with shipping going for $40 or from poolgeek ($38 before discount) and then treat as yearly disposable throwaways with no cleaning required. If someone finds a more sturdy cover (ArmorKote?) that will truly last through the harsh winters of N.E. Ohio, I would consider it. But the proof nows needs to be in the pudding for sure. It would be cool if the Medina NY location for the ArmorKote manufacturing location had a factory store - I could have family drive there and make a discount purchase. Oh well, wishful thinking I guess.

Well I just received it....IMHO, I think the Tan will will cordinate nice with my brown deck and tan pool walls, but I seriously doubt it will last more than 2 years. Unfortunately time will tell. I have noticed that the edges are double stitched and instead of grommets there are stiched in nylon fabric loops, but the actual tarp material is very thin and the tan top is not fabric, rather the same tarp material, but must just be a plastic coating. We'll see if the what the marketing states...holds up in Northeast winter conditions :scratch: I know folks further north think there winters are worse, and is in fact true from a temp perspective, but IMO I think it's the constant freeze/thaw cycling that really does a number on covers/pool equipment around here.

Anyway...it is what it is...the warranty is full 5yr on material defects/workmanship, but only 50% on material degradation (IMO...that's all that counts)....after 5 years it's further prorated, eventually down to 5% reimbursement (hah, what a joke). I'll try to take some pics in the next few days, but figured I would give you all a heads up.

Unless this cover holds up 3+ years, I will definately just go with the cheap $40 cover every year.

I will hold my breath for the next 3+ years and hope for the best for you :sleep: :grrrr:

I called the factory up in Medina and they gave me their distributor's website named http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com and for the AK24R4 model number (for a 24' above ground round), the pricing is $118.99 + $16.00 for shipping as your "buy anytime price" becomes $136.

I would need this to pretty much last at least 4 years to offset the cheap poolgeak cover (4 years x $40 = $160!). There would be no maintenance or cleaning with the cheap cover as it would go right in the trash! I am so lazzzzzyyyyyy....

Keep us updated as inquiring minds will want to know - at least here for sure. Thanks much!

Don't use the floaters during the winter! They will get stuck in one spot after the cover goes on with a little rain. The chlorine will fall out the bottom and since the water isn't moving you'll have a bleach spot on the bottom of the pool.

OhAllWet said:
I will hold my breath for the next 3+ years and hope for the best for you :sleep: :grrrr:

I called the factory up in Medina and they gave me their distributor's website named http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com and for the AK24R4 model number (for a 24' above ground round), the pricing is $118.99 + $16.00 for shipping as your "buy anytime price" becomes $136.

Thanks for the support :goodjob: Yes, that's the same model I received for $108 shipped, in the link i provided in my previous post. Bestbuypoolsupply is actually just one of their reseller/distributors. I found out HPI actually owns Yard Guard (in Canada) who physically produces the cover here. Anyway, just figured I would give you more info...but we'll see how long it lasts :scratch: ...time will tell, but I like your "lazy" idea...that's what I told myself I would do, but like everything else I do, research etc, just lead me to buying on of the better covers I could find. Oh well you win some and lose some.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No problem...the cover held up great and we had a ton of snow/ice on it last winter...even the pillow popped :shock: but the cover has no holes in it. I actually just closed the pool today and installed the cover :cry: ...it looks pretty good, plus the tan matches my pool wall color :lol:

The biggest pain was powerwashing the grime off of it in the spring, but I'd likely get another when this one goes...hope this helps :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.