First time closing above ground pool - HELP

Jun 4, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hello!

It's been a fabulous SUMMER season all thanks to quite a few of you here at TFP. :) You helped us start our pool out right and we had a great summer with ZERO water problems! So glad we were talked into "chucking the pucs" :) We had crystal clear water! And it was really easy to maintain once we got the hang of it.

Sadly, it's time to close and we are now back to being clueless. Can someone help to walk us through the closing process for our pool?

Thanks!

There is an article in Pool School with a walk thru on the pool closings. If you have questions after checking it out, post back and someone will help.

Congrats on your Trouble Free pool! :goodjob:

Edit: Sorry for duplication: GMTA :mrgreen:

Everyone,

I just read through that article and printed for reference when I get home from work. Thanks for that! Regarding chemicals and whatnot, I only noticed that it recommends bringing the pool to shock level for 24 hours (no biggie, we can handle that) and then a mention of "polyquat algaecide" which is optional. Do you think we should do that?

Are there any other chemicals or items that need to be placed in the pool for the winter? I was anticipating we would have to buy some type of closing "kit" or something like that. Also, what works well for floating in the middle to help support the cover? We have some cheap tubes from Target, but I don't know that they would last the whole winter.

We'll be bringing the pump, filter, and all hoses in the house for the winter, so I don't anticipate any issues there. Thanks everyone!

Some people recommend the big air pillows made for that purpose and some advise against them. You'll most likely need a cover pump either way so it probably doesn't make much difference whether you use one or not.

I plan on trying one this year but more for keeping the leaves etc. toward the sides of the pool than keeping the cover off the water. And the fact that the Pool Store will give me one free when I buy the cover doesn't hurt.

Yup...the pillow does squat for freeze protection, but as long as it stay inflated, it keeps water and leaves/debris closer to the pool wall vs. having to reach the middle of the pool.

One note of caution though, if your cover develops a hole or it is a solid mesh type cover, be careful how much you siphon off the top as you may actually be draining the pool :shock:

Happened to me last season and realized I actually brought my water level down by 12 inches.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.