How to switch from Baquacil to BBB

Sep 1, 2007
Nebraska
I am reading about all the same problems that I am having with Baquacil ( cloudy, algae, etc) I have a 17000 gal. ag pool,
I would like to change to the BBB method. How do I do so and exactly what chemicals do I need?

Welcome to TFP!

To convert from Baquacil to chlorine requires adding large quantities of bleach and replacing your filter media once the baquacil is gone. It can take anywhere from a couple of days up to a couple of weeks and the pool will turn various colors while you are in the middle of the conversion. You need to have a good test kit that can measure FC and CC seperately up to at least 20 (the FAS-DPD chlorine test).

All you need to do is add bleach to bring the FC level up to 15 and repeat as frequently as you can manage. The more often you can test and add more bleach the more quickly it will go. Once the water clears and the FC level holds steady overnight you replace your filter media (sand, DE and grids, or cartridge depending on your filter).

You can read about other people's experiences in the "Baquacil - Use and Conversion" section of this site.

There is another approach using sodium percarbonate instead of bleach for the initial stages of the conversion, but sodium percarbonate is more difficult to get, more expensive, and it doesn't seem to make things go significantly more quickly.

Hi, Keli! Welcome to TFP

As always Jason is right on the mark!! I would make a couple other suggestions:

You will need a good test kit, so go ahead and invest in Dave's kit found in my signature. We find that it is superior to other kits out there.
Use Jason's calculator to help you calculate the amount of bleach you need to add to your pool. Later, the other calculators for pH, TA, etc. will be helpful.
The more you test and add bleach, the faster your conversion will go. If you can only add once a day, do so at night. If you can do it 2 or 3 times a day or even more, it will go faster.
You will need to backwash or clean your filter frequently during this time. Filter your water 24/7 during this process, and keep a sharp eye on your pressure gauge.
When you think your conversion is over, post back and we can help you balance your water.
If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.