My pool is losing plaster

May 2, 2010
I have what I think is a gunite/plaster pool about 22,500 cubic feet. I have noticed over the past couple of years that it is using losing chunks of plaster, particularly on the steps in the shallow end but also in the deep end where no one ever stands. Can anyone help with:

1) what the cause of this is
2) what I can do to prevent it in the future
3) solutions to fix what is there or replace what is missing

Some pictures are attached below.

Data from my pool is:
FC 5-10
TC 5-10
pH 7.5
TA 100
CH 190
CYA 90

[attachment=1:31fm8okl]DSCN8306.JPG[/attachment:31fm8okl]
[attachment=0:31fm8okl]DSCN8307.JPG[/attachment:31fm8okl]

Attachments

• DSCN8306.JPG
    DSCN8306.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN8307.JPG
    DSCN8307.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 101
How old is the plaster? Also CH 190 is way too low. You need to have CH 250-350 in a plaster pool. Consistently low CH levels will damage the plaster over time. Your CYA is too high, but that will not affect the plaster. You want to keep CYA 30-50.

That is just a typical plastered pool nearing the end of its life expectancy. It is starting to delaminate, and it will continue to get worse as time passes.

You will need to contact a pool plaster company and have them come out to give you a proposal for a new plaster job. Get references from some of the better quality pool builders in your area (they should tell you who they use to plaster their pools) and check references. The pool industry as a whole is pretty slow currently, so you should be able to get a pretty good price on the work.

I have that too. My pool floor in the shallows looks like the surface of the moon! I spoke with the neighbors and got some backround. Our house was built in '77 one owner till 2005. '05-'09 owned by some low lifes who didn't take care of nothin then let her go into forclosure. Palm trees had 3 years old dead growth on them, grass all dead, let much of the once lush landscaping die. They took the controllers on the way out, broke several irrigation heads. didn't do any maintenance on the house. It was unocupied till we bought it in summer '09 (bank Owned) The bank cleaned it up, painted the whole house, installed new carpet everywhere. The pool was full and running when we looked at he house.
SO back to the pool, I have seen a google earth pic that shows the pool empty. A no-no in Nevada for plaster pools, they will dry out and crack due to low humidity. Thats what the tile line is for I discovered. It's not just for looks. The tile can be above and below the water and won't be affected. I don't know how long the pool was empty. We talked to a few pool contractors at a home show and found out 10-15 years is the life of plaster, you then have it re-done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.