Mustard Algae and treatment options

Aug 29, 2007
San Diego
I seem to be confused... When looking for a treatment for yellow algae i see Yellow Treat and Yellow Out. Any advice on the pros and cons on both products?
I know Yellow Treat will consume a lot of chlorine duting treatment.

Thanks for your insights!!

Yellow Out and Yellow Treat are only appropriate when your CYA level is very very very high, at which point it is often simpler to lower the CYA level then it is to use those products.

The best treatment for yellow algae is to raise your chlorine level up to high shock levels and hold it there for a while. How high you need to take the FC level depends on your CYA level.

What you need to remember is that your maintenance chlorine levels from day to day and your shock levels need to be based off of your CYA.

dan

No, that's not what he is saying.

He means the level you use to shock should be based on your CYA. If your CYA is high, you need to shock at a higher level to be effective.

You only need to shock when your CC's get over .5 ppm

When CYA gets to 100 or higher you should replace water to bring CYA down again. Hopefully you will never need to do that.

What gonefishin was saying is that your ideal day to day chlorine level depends on your CYA level, as does the chlorine level you need to use if you should need to shock the pool. The more CYA you have the less effective the chlorine is, so you need to add more chlorine to compensate when CYA is high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cbisquit,

No, you shock (elevate your chlorine level) when you have visible signs of algae in your pool or suspect they might be in there. (and some other circumstances, as well, but that's not the point of my reply)

This stuff will all be second nature to you soon.....just keep reading and asking questions.

You are correct about adding refill water to your pool to reduce CYA but, if you're attentive, your CYA will never get that high and you'll never have to do that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.