Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mustard Algae and treatment options

1. Back To Top    #1

Mustard Algae and treatment options

I seem to be confused... When looking for a treatment for yellow algae i see Yellow Treat and Yellow Out. Any advice on the pros and cons on both products?
    I know Yellow Treat will consume a lot of chlorine duting treatment.

Thanks for your insights!!
    cbisquit

2. Back To Top    #2
    I don't know much about either product, but I know regular chlorine brought up to shock level will take care of algae.
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

3. Back To Top    #3
    Yellow Out and Yellow Treat are only appropriate when your CYA level is very very very high, at which point it is often simpler to lower the CYA level then it is to use those products.

The best treatment for yellow algae is to raise your chlorine level up to high shock levels and hold it there for a while. How high you need to take the FC level depends on your CYA level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

JL, you're awesome!!! I guess I can stop spending my $$ on Yellow Treat and up the chlorine levels along with scrubbing, right? Assuming my CYA levels are reasonable.
    cbisquit

5. Back To Top    #5
    what are your numbers right now?
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

6. Back To Top    #6

Haven't tested this morning, currently not batteling the yellow stuff but I have in the past.
    cbisquit

7. Back To Top    #7
    What you need to remember is that your maintenance chlorine levels from day to day and your shock levels need to be based off of your CYA.

dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

So if my CYA is above 100 that's when I shock? I thought that's when water should be added to reduce CYA.
    Oh boy is this ever confusing!
    cbisquit

9. Back To Top    #9

No, that's not what he is saying.

He means the level you use to shock should be based on your CYA. If your CYA is high, you need to shock at a higher level to be effective.

You only need to shock when your CC's get over .5 ppm
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

10. Back To Top    #10
    When CYA gets to 100 or higher you should replace water to bring CYA down again. Hopefully you will never need to do that.

What gonefishin was saying is that your ideal day to day chlorine level depends on your CYA level, as does the chlorine level you need to use if you should need to shock the pool. The more CYA you have the less effective the chlorine is, so you need to add more chlorine to compensate when CYA is high.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry
    cbisquit,

No, you shock (elevate your chlorine level) when you have visible signs of algae in your pool or suspect they might be in there. (and some other circumstances, as well, but that's not the point of my reply)

This stuff will all be second nature to you soon.....just keep reading and asking questions.

You are correct about adding refill water to your pool to reduce CYA but, if you're attentive, your CYA will never get that high and you'll never have to do that.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School