DIY Solar heater questions

songebob said:
I have a feeling that the instructions you bought from the site would be very similar to this design: http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-your-own-flat-panel-solar-thermal-collector/?ALLSTEPS

My main worry about this design is the potential of leaks. The seal between the panel and the pipe would be a major weak point.

Articfox918 said:
I am building some panels like these from Coroplast Panels. I researched this extensively and this has been the best DIY design I have found (at least in my situation) for heating my pool. I ordered the CD to check it out and the instructions are pretty detailed and easy to perform. My Wife was even able to understand the instruction and she has absolutely no technical and or building know how (shh! I didn't say that).

http://www.solarpanelsforpool.com/index.htm

Ah yes very similar, However I can see the weak spot you mention here with that design they are cutting the pipe as where with the design I am using the pipe is not cut but holes drilled in precisely the correct spot for the Coroplast. I used my friend as a guinea pig we built his panels first I then took some scarps from that project and tried different adhesives to see how they held up in the heat. In my situation I have a South facing side of my Garage that gets 100% Sun all day long and gets mighty hot therefore I was curious if they would weaken due to high temperatures. My friend has had these in now for a year and 3 month with absolutely no issues as of now, and he usually is open a month before and after everyone else depending on sun and weather. (Built exactly by the instructions). In my smaller test samples Windshield adhesive held great no issues. 3M makes an industrial plastic adhesive that works the best but that stuff is way too expensive, therefore, negating any savings one would get from building these. I did try a few other adhesives but they didn't work as well as the windshield adhesive or industrial plastic adhesive. I totally see where you are coming from on the weak spot issue, however with care and diligence I think these can last a very long time. The instructions say these can be drained down and left outside over the winter but we here in Wisconsin can get some brutal brutal winters therefore we have made them with a collapsible frame for dis assembly and easy storage in the garage. I will post the results and issues (if any ) with mine once I have them completed and installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.