Pool guy said D.E. filter will eventually rust, need new

wowser

Sep 11, 2010
Had a pool repair guy come and give me an estimate of swapping out a Northstar .75 hp pump with a 1hp 2 speed. He recommended replacing my d.e. filter too since it's metal (stainless, guess) and since I had a salt generator it would eventually rust out.

Even if that's not true, I would consider replacing the filter since it's pretty old (maybe 30 years) and the long rod that holds the grids down broke in the hole where it threads. I jury rigged a tube that's wedged between the top grid manifold and lid. That seems to work fine. I forget the brand but it's 48 square inches (or feet?) and is all metal.

Considering switching to sand filtration. Amazon has the Hayward S180T for under $200.

Questions:
1. is salt rusting filter just bunk?
2. if replacing the filter, would I be happy with sand? I don't like cleaning d.e. grids 2x a year.
3. Is the S180T good for a 6000 gallon in-ground pool (yes, it's tiny) with 2" lines, solar panels, a hayward vac and dual speed Northstar 1 hp pump?
4. Anyone switch from d.e. to sand and can give the pros/cons from a user's perspective?
5. do you have to backwash sand more often than sand?
6. will sand cause much more back-pressure?

wheew, thanks everyone!

1. is salt rusting filter just bunk? Some truth to it
2. if replacing the filter, would I be happy with sand? I don't like cleaning d.e. grids 2x a year. I would be, I don't know if you would.
3. Is the S180T good for a 6000 gallon in-ground pool (yes, it's tiny) with 2" lines, solar panels, a hayward vac and dual speed Northstar 1 hp pump? Yes....that's a BIG filter but you can't get one too big....only too small
4. Anyone switch from d.e. to sand and can give the pros/cons from a user's perspective? can't answer
5. do you have to backwash sand more often than sand? Sand will likely backwash less often and simpler to do
6. will sand cause much more back-pressure? No, probably less

My previous house had a Stainless Steel DE Filter for the pool. When we were buying the house, I had a pool guy come out and inspect everything for me. I remember him telling me "You can't add a salt generator unless you replace that filter... they don't like salt".

wowser said:
Had a pool repair guy come and give me an estimate of swapping out a Northstar .75 hp pump with a 1hp 2 speed. He recommended replacing my d.e. filter too since it's metal (stainless, guess) and since I had a salt generator it would eventually rust out.

Even if that's not true, I would consider replacing the filter since it's pretty old (maybe 30 years) and the long rod that holds the grids down broke in the hole where it threads. I jury rigged a tube that's wedged between the top grid manifold and lid. That seems to work fine. I forget the brand but it's 48 square inches (or feet?) and is all metal.

Considering switching to sand filtration. Amazon has the Hayward S180T for under $200.

Questions:
1. is salt rusting filter just bunk?
2. if replacing the filter, would I be happy with sand? I don't like cleaning d.e. grids 2x a year. I am way happier w my sand than my SS metal DE filter
3. Is the S180T good for a 6000 gallon in-ground pool (yes, it's tiny) with 2" lines, solar panels, a hayward vac and dual speed Northstar 1 hp pump?
4. Anyone switch from d.e. to sand and can give the pros/cons from a user's perspective? WAY less work the sand!
5. do you have to backwash sand more often than sand? For me, way less BWash w the sand- way less
6. will sand cause much more back-pressure?

wheew, thanks everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.