couple questions on TA

budysr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Pensacola
What is considered an "ideal" number for TA in a 14000 gal. vinyl pool? Also, what effect(if any) do you guys think a heavy downpour of rain would have on your TA level the following morning? I am in the panhandle of Florida. Could alot of rain 'raise' the TA level?

The ideal TA level depends on several factors. If you are using acidic chlorine sources, such as trichlor or dichlor, keep TA on the high side, perhaps between 100 and 120. If you have a SWG, or if you commonly run water features such as a spa, waterfall, or fountain, keep TA on the low side, between 70 and 90. Pools with plaster surfaces should factor their calcite saturation index into the preferred TA level decision. Pools with vinyl liners can tolerate high TA levels fairly well.

If anything rain would tend to lower TA. The test is often +-10 and sometimes less percise than that.

My TA level was around 70 this morning and I was thinking that this was probably not a bad number for it as I make the conversion from the copper algacide to a chlorine pool. The TA has consistently been much lower(as per test results from the pool store). Since I got the pool going in July, I've averaged around 30ppm and have had to add baking soda a couple times. I think the pristine blue treatment maybe requires a lower TA level(which is why I am wondering about TA and chlorine). If the rain doesn't raise TA, does adding small doses of 10% liquid chlorine?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.