Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: couple questions on TA

1. Back To Top    #1

couple questions on TA

What is considered an "ideal" number for TA in a 14000 gal. vinyl pool? Also, what effect(if any) do you guys think a heavy downpour of rain would have on your TA level the following morning? I am in the panhandle of Florida. Could alot of rain 'raise' the TA level?
    24' AGP vinyl, 3/4hp Pentair 2-speed, Pentair Quad DE 60
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2
    The ideal TA level depends on several factors. If you are using acidic chlorine sources, such as trichlor or dichlor, keep TA on the high side, perhaps between 100 and 120. If you have a SWG, or if you commonly run water features such as a spa, waterfall, or fountain, keep TA on the low side, between 70 and 90. Pools with plaster surfaces should factor their calcite saturation index into the preferred TA level decision. Pools with vinyl liners can tolerate high TA levels fairly well.

If anything rain would tend to lower TA. The test is often +-10 and sometimes less percise than that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

My TA level was around 70 this morning and I was thinking that this was probably not a bad number for it as I make the conversion from the copper algacide to a chlorine pool. The TA has consistently been much lower(as per test results from the pool store). Since I got the pool going in July, I've averaged around 30ppm and have had to add baking soda a couple times. I think the pristine blue treatment maybe requires a lower TA level(which is why I am wondering about TA and chlorine). If the rain doesn't raise TA, does adding small doses of 10% liquid chlorine?
    24' AGP vinyl, 3/4hp Pentair 2-speed, Pentair Quad DE 60
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4
    TA will change as the PH changes. Liquid chlorine has no net effect on TA but it will temporarily raise the PH and TA and then as the chlorine gets used up the PH and TA will go back down.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School