Hayward filter

Aug 31, 2007
usa
Hi guys, how can you tell if your sand filter is working properly, my pump is working fine and I am keeping my chems spot on, so it only leaves the filter but as I said how can you test for defiences.

New member johnnie-o

the return flow does not seem to be strong enough to take away all the little insects
they appear to just flow past without getting sucked down and as I said before the pump is brand new
and my chems are all up to par but the water is green and cloudy

pool is above ground with 1 return and 1 skimmer

johnnie-o

Have you backwashed the filter recently?

A sand filter should have a pressure gauge on it. When the pressure rises 8 to 10 psi above whatever it is right after backwashing it is time to backwash again. When it is getting to be time to backwash the flow will go down.

If your water is green and murky/cloudy it is almost always algae, which can also fill up the filter fairly quicky and require frequent backwashing.

Could you post a full set of water test numbers? That will help us give more specific advice.

do you have a full set of test numbers and maybe a pressure reading from the gauge? It sounds like you might have an algae issue. I have limited experience with sand filters so maybe someone else could address that issue.

In a well-balanced pool, algae (which you have) cannot grow. The first step towards progress is to recognize you have (at the very least) a chlorine deficiency. There may be some other issues but only a set of test results will help us help you get your water clear

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.