Making Plumbing Adapters For Intex SWG for inground pool

Apr 15, 2010
Las Vegas
Thought I'd start my SWG install now that the temp isn't 100-110 outside and I'm to the bottom of my chlorine bucket. :-D
here are a few picks to start off with, I'll add more as I go. Making the 1 1/2" PVC to Intex thread on Adapters is the first hurdle. The included hose and pieces are just too temporary by design, the hose is flimsy, rubber squeeze on bushing stuff, It's all fine for temp use but I don't want this SWG to be the week link in the system. The sizes are not NPT standard and was not meant to connect to regular pipe. The rest of the equipment is great, the housing, platform cell, cable is heavy. That part doesn't look like a toy so I think it can last. Because of the size of photos (7MP each) and that I'm familiar with Photo Bucket, I'm using that. :goodjob:
SlideShow: http://s762.photobucket.com/albums/xx26 ... eacc7a.pbw
Manual pics: http://s762.photobucket.com/albums/xx26 ... ool%20pix/

That's interesting. I think that may be the first mod I have seen where the Intex hose connector was used to connect pvc to the SWG. Thanks for sharing. How well does the barbed pvc fit into the Intex hose cuff? Is it a good tight fit or does the epoxy fill a gap?

Not sure epoxy was the best choice to fill the gap, it tends to crack overtime without a flex agent in the mix and it doesn't handle UV or chlorine exposure too well. A custom machined bushing would likely been the best alternative but not everyone has the resources to do fabricate.

Hope it works out for you.

4JawChuck said:
Not sure epoxy was the best choice to fill the gap, it tends to crack overtime without a flex agent in the mix and it doesn't handle UV or chlorine exposure too well. A custom machined bushing would likely been the best alternative but not everyone has the resources to do fabricate.

Epoxy was the only thing I could find that could bond the two plastics, silicone caulk wouldn't hold pressure and couldn't think of anything else. Would that marine epoxy puddy your knead together do better?

civicturbo said:
4JawChuck said:

Epoxy was the only thing I could find that could bond the two plastics, silicone caulk wouldn't hold pressure and couldn't think of anything else. Would that marine epoxy puddy your knead together do better?

3M makes a structural adhesive for plastics that fills well and has high strength combined with flexibility and PVC compatibility, never tried it with pressurized plumbing however.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...JJ60IS8FSO6Q3GD3_nid=6FGF9GMR23be7ZMZSJBQRHgl

...another alternative is from Stelmax but it used primarily for PVC coated metal repairs so I can't comment on how well it would work.

http://www.stelmax.co.uk/pvcfiller.php

To be honest I would have some PVC bushings made up at a machine shop made out of off the shelf fittings or heavier schedule pipe to fill the gap, this way you can ensure the gap is filled with solid material and standard PVC cement will work properly to bond the components, anything else is a crapshoot.

Progress has been slow, the temps started to go to 110 deg. And I don't work it that heat :) I'm doing it the hard way and digging up my pipes to reroute the return line and eliminate many potential 90's that would be needed in the plumbing.

Next I'm going to look at the circut board to see if I can add a 9v battery backup to the main chip to hold memory during any breif power outages.

All done but one adapter leaked and got worse over 2 months so after reading another post but a member here I got a pair of heavy duty rubber coupler by Fernco from Lowe's and she's great. no leaks!
I'd love to post pics but my camera is 7.1MP so everthings over the .256MP limit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.