noob w/ a contract on a house with pool

Aug 7, 2010
Keller Tx
Hey everyone I am currently under contract to buy a house that has a pool. I've always wanted one and finally might get one if we actually close!! The only issue is that I am buying a foreclosure and it has been vacant for 100 days or more. The pool has been sitting and was about a foot down from the skimmer. They just turned the utilities on and I was wanting to try out the pumps but I can't figure out how to start it and don't wanna mess something up by running it dry. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and maybe explain how to turn the pumps on or clean them or just explain what I am looking at...I'd be very grateful!! Since it's not technically my house yet I don't think I can do much other than turn everything on and maybe rinse some stuff out so it doesn't get too bad. It's already a bit green since we are in Texas and just had a ton of rain right after about two weeks of 100+ degree temps.

About all I know is that it can be heated and the timers have the freeze sensor thing.

The pool (a bit greener now)

Here is one side. There is a freeze sensor and two timer things in this box. The switch below the box turns the pump on that has the clear plastic lid on it. (i guess to see leaves or bubbles??) When I opened the clear plastic lid it was filled with a thick sheet of green algae. When I got it all out and flipped the switch it sucked the standing water that was in the reservoir through but there was no water coming from anywhere else so I quickly flipped the switch off and decided I needed to post here. There is one of three valves right before the pump that might be flipped off but I am not sure. You can see it at the bottom of this pic.

Here is the other side that has the big canister thing. There are 2 of the 3 valves at the bottom right of the picture that I have no clue about either.

thanks for any help!!

The suction side valve looks open, with the handle pointing toward the pump. On the return side it looks like one of the three way valves is closing off a path, but water can still flow in the open path to wherever its going. It is hard to see with all the leaves. Fill up the pump basket with water and flip the switch. It may take a minute or two for the pump to prime.

I tried that and moved all the valves every way I could think but I still couldn't get anything to flow. It is getting greener and greener though! :)

Here is what I got this time:
The pool is a 16' x 31' non diving pool

Green:

Here is some sort of hookup that was disconnected near the outside hose bib: I have no idea if this should be hooked up or not

Small filter thing:

Big filter thing:

Timers and freeze guard: The one on the left controls the big pump with the clear plastic cover. The one on the right is for the other pump that has no cover and sounds bone dry. (only turned it on for a couple seconds b/c it sounds awful)

I tried priming this thing with water but of course it didn't do much since the water didn't stay in there.

Other random plumbing pictures that might help.

How was the water so blue in the first picture? The pump must have been running somehow.

In the picture you are filling the DE separation tank, that will not help much as that is for back washing. I found this picture for you:

http://www.tropixpools.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=9155

Fill up the pump basket, I see the cover is removed in one of the pictures. Make sure the gasket on the pump lid looks good and is clean. Replace the lid and let it run. It may help to try switching the inlet valve one way or the other, it may prime quicker if one of the two are close. One is the drain and the other the skimmer. If there are no major air leaks in the suction side of the plumbing and provided the water has somewhere to go ( the de filter is not clogged ), then the pump should prime.

The smaller pump is likely a pressure pump for a pressure side cleaner.

thanks so much!! I will try this today if I can make it over there! Is it going to be an issue if the pool is even greener? I am sure its getting pretty bad. Also what should I buy now (chlorine/test kits?) to have when I close this coming week? Do you guys all shop online or are the pool stores reasonable with chemicals and stuff?

When my pump was in the shop for a couple of days during the season, I added some bleach directly to the pool and stirred it up with the brush. I also have a submersible pump that I could have used to stir it up more if I'd needed. You'll need a few gallons of bleach -- check the pool calculator on this site. Also I agree with adding water so the skimmer can function unless you can turn it off (plug it up with a rubber plug or turn a valve). Buy lots of bleach and good luck!

Sue

PS, my house was vacant for 2 years before I bought it. I had a pool store open it for me as I had no clue. Good thing I did since some parts were missing. I immediately switched from BAQ to bleach. I now open it myself but have the store close it for me as it involves a lot of lifting stuff (storing solar cover, putting on winter cover) but most importantly, they blow out the lines for me (underground water lines) so hopefully it's done right but if not, I have some recourse.

There's some good info here on DE filters, which have their own peculiarities -- do a search. I'm in the midst of cleaning mine for winter storage (my pool store takes it apart and does a light cleaning but charges extra for further cleaning that I can do myself).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
weird I didn't get an email notification saying there was any replies! Sorry guys. Well the good news is that I closed today!! Hopefully there won't be anything major wrong with it.

The bad news is that today after refilling it I noticed a part missing. Someone had come and made the water clear again sometime before I closed but they also decided they needed the metal clamp that holds that big filter together more than me....So now there is no seal at all. As you can see in the pictures from previous days it used to be there.....Does anyone know how to get another one of those rings???

here is what it looks like now.

Talk to your realtor and show them the before and after pics of the filter. They should be able to contact the seller's agent and find out who serviced the pool and get the part returned or replaced.

I tried that and I'm thinking since it was Fannie Mae and I've already closed they're gonna say to heck with it unless I can prove it was them and I don't think I can. I can't say it was someone when I never saw who actually took it?? Well see...I just told the realtor yesterday after 7p. Are those parts hard to find or expensive?

I think I'd be putting a lot of pressure on them to find the old one.

I only found one a couple places on the web. Here it is At $226.99 I'd put a lot of pressure on whoever hired the service done to replace it. The best thing you have are before and after pics.

Bama Rambler said:
I think I'd be putting a lot of pressure on them to find the old one.

I only found one a couple places on the web. Here it is At $226.99 I'd put a lot of pressure on whoever hired the service done to replace it. The best thing you have are before and after pics.

wow thanks! thats one expensive clamp! lol Alright I will see what the realtor says. Thanks guys!!

also I don't think there is a little vacuum guy in the pool. I have noticed there are a few different types. Are any better or worse for the type of pool I have? Is that extra pump next to the big pump the additional pump I would need for a pressure cleaner?

Since no one's really said it yet:
1) Read Pool School
2) like RIGHT NOW: buy 4-6 big bottles of bleach, take off the tops, and put them in the bottom of the pool. this'll help keep things from getting too bad until the equipment is running
3) suggest contacting a local pool store & having a guy come out to do 'pool school'. I used Gohlke (up here in Denton). It was a good $100: explained all the equipment & setup. But get your chemistry & maintenance advice off this forum ;)

Congrats on the new place! that'll be very nice once it's all cleaned up & open. We were swimming until mid-Nov last year, you still have a month or 2 left to enjoy it!!!

acroy said:
Since no one's really said it yet:
1) Read Pool School
2) like RIGHT NOW: buy 4-6 big bottles of bleach, take off the tops, and put them in the bottom of the pool. this'll help keep things from getting too bad until the equipment is running
3) suggest contacting a local pool store & having a guy come out to do 'pool school'. I used Gohlke (up here in Denton). It was a good $100: explained all the equipment & setup. But get your chemistry & maintenance advice off this forum ;)

Congrats on the new place! that'll be very nice once it's all cleaned up & open. We were swimming until mid-Nov last year, you still have a month or 2 left to enjoy it!!!

Awesome thanks so much!! The realtor Is working with someone to find out who the company was so I don't know if I should wait to get that clamp or just go ahead and buy one online. $220 seems like a bunch if they can just bring back my pool part. Will the bottles of bleach work for a week or two until I can get it running? I assume I should wait until I get the pool running before seeing Gohlke comes out right? I'm afraid he'll come out and then when I get the clamp I still won't be able to get the pool going.

I won't comment on the cleaner but you need to add chlorine each day. Since you don't have the pump running you need to brush the pool good after adding the bleach. That will keep it stirred up so it'll do it's job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.