noob w/ a contract on a house with pool

20vturbo said:
Big filter thing:

Looking at this picture, it appears part of the ring is missing and it looks like part of the spring nut assembly that holds it together may be on the ground. If you click on the picture you can get a closer look. This filter model is obsolete (of course) and parts may be scarce. If you decide to replace the filter you may be able to find a buyer for the grid assembly if it is in good condition.

Bama Rambler said:
I won't comment on the cleaner but you need to add chlorine each day. Since you don't have the pump running you need to brush the pool good after adding the bleach. That will keep it stirred up so it'll do it's job.

Am I at least on the right track with the type of cleaner I need? thanks for all the help so far.

I'd suggest get the CL level up with bleach, maybe @ shock level, and keep it there till the equipment is running. This'll help stop serious algae issues while you're getting the equipment fixed.

Yep hold off on the 'pool school' till the equipment is all together.

Good luck finding the clamp... Don't give up on finding the service co. and hassling them, you have before & after pics to show they misplaced it. You might be able to get the real estate co. to bring pressure on them. The real estate co. hired them to take care of the pool, which they did not! Failing that, it might be worth while to call around some local shops, they may have a stash of parts.

The pooldevil skimmer is awesome, I highly recommend. I own one and plan on gettging a 2nd for the leaf-in-the-pool season this fall.

The pool cleaner you have the link for has good recommendations. I persoally own a suction-side (plugs into skimmer) vac, and plan to get the pressure-side model this fall when they go on sale. Any suction-side cleaner puts the gunk through your piping and into pump basket. Not so good for me, I get twigs, acorn etc, scared of something gettign jammed int he pipework. Pressure side has it's own bag.

Omg it's running!! I'm jumping up and down!! Lol.

So my realtor had the company find one on craigslist and they brought it by today. I put it all together and (thanks to everyone here and the forum info) got it to prime and sputter. I then noticed there was a crack in the clear lid so I went to the store and got it replaced. I took apart and cleaned all the little fins and somehow got the thing back together and it's running now!! Yahooooo!

So is there anything else I should do? I have the TFT kit coming in the mail. I put one bottle of bleach in. Should I do anything else to get ready? Should I put in more bleach?

Also I got one of the brushes but there looks like some algae at the bottom that's not going to come up with just the brush

Here is kind what he stains look like on the sides.

2bf27c47.jpg

And here is what the equip looks like now

9e2a619c.jpg

Ok I read the pool school and think I have most of it but for some reason the secondary pump that runs the cleaner only blows water out??! I can't get it to start a suction??! And for your laughing pleasure here's the cleaner not working! :)

a1925c42.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In reality I don't really know. I think it's where the old cleaner went bc I had to unscrew a part from the hole and screw in the new connector for the 4 wheel cleaner I bought. It is also the only hole that is different from the others that have adjustable jets. When main pump is running it blows out a little water and when I turn on the secondary pump it blows even more water out. :oops:

There are two holes in the skimmer on the side but the other hole doesn't have any suction even when I turn on the pump.

Sounds like you connected your cleaner to the booster pump, which is meant to power a pressure-side cleaner requiring a booster pump (Polaris 380, etc.). Specifically what kind of cleaner is that? The four-wheel versions are made in both pressure- and suction-side versions. Neither require a booster pump.

Before you get too scared, let me say I don't own one of any type. However, my impression was that the pressure-side models of The Pool Cleaner did not require a booster pump. If that is indeed the case with the one you bought, you may be able to ditch the booster pump and keep the cleaner. Not sure if that will work; it depends on how the system is set up.

From the photo of your cleaner you have a suction side cleaner.

You have basically three options. Sell the cleaner you have now and buy a pressure side cleaner or replumb the vacuum port to be on the suction of the pump or just use the one you have plugged into the skimmer as Acroy said.

Replumbing the port may not be as big as deal as it sounds. I can't tell exactly how the booster pump is hooked up from the pictures you've posted but if you can post some more maybe we can figure out how big a job it would be.

Alright the test kit came. Here are my starting numbers I've checked so far:

CYA - 30
pH - 8.0 - 8.2
Chlroine - greater than 5 (the accurate test I couldn't get to work. When I put in the scoop of powder it turned pink but then dissolved and turned back to clear before I even put the drops of the other stuff)

Tine for bed. I hope to be able to work on the pool tomorrow afternoon.

Yea I think I went overboard with the bleach bc my first test showed 0 chlorine. So I dumped like 6 big bottles of bleach in. :oops:

What powder should I add? I picked up some of that muriatic acid yesterday for the pH. Should I wait on that?

When you add the R-0870 you should just use 2 scoops instead of one. Then the sample should stay pink.

Wait till you test the FC before you add any muriatic acid to bring the pH down. If your FC is higher than 15 (10 if you're using anything besides the K-1000 in the TF-100) your pH will read artificially high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.