Best time to run my pump

I have a few questions about when to run my pump, and when to have it off.

I have a timer that allows up to 24 on and 24 off cycles. I want enough run time to keep it sparkling, but obviously would like to save electricity too.

My old pump was 2HP. My new pump is 1.5HP. I have a 27'x52" AGP.

I typically add bleach at night, so that it has a chance to kill all the nasties before the sun starts consuming it. The timer gives me the flexibility to run for an hour or so to circulate the chlorine.

So, am I better off running it 9 - 11 hours all at once, or breaking this up into two or three smaller chunks? I will have to experiment of course to determine how much run time I need with the new pump. The old one did the job well in 6 - 8 hours a day until it died. I know it was way too much pump for the amount of pool I have, that's why I went with 1.5HP this time around.

One last thing. In another thread, somebody mentioned that running the pump at night will lower your water temperature on a cool night. Is this true? I do not want to lose my heat in the cooler months ahead.

Is your new pump a 2-speed pump?

If it is, then I suggest running it 24 hours a day.

I have a 1½ hp and it's really a 1 hp full rated pump so let us know the SF of the new pump.

I run my pump 8 hours a day in 3 cycles. One 4 hour & two 2hour. One 2 hour cycle is from 11am - 1pm so I add some FC during the middle of the day.

I have a 1/2 HP with a suction cleaner AND running solar all at the same time. Of course not all 1/2 HP are equal so it depends on the model.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.