I covered my pool today

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
It's been hot the last few days, which got the pool up to 81 yesterday, from a low of 76 before sunrise. But it's supposed to cool down some this week. I decided it was finally time to unwrap the blue bubble cover I bought nearly a year ago. It's supposed to heat the pool a little, and insulate, so I figure I can stretch the swim season a bit this way.

So I unrolled it and dragged it around some then weighted the corners with loose bricks and trimmed it roughly to size. There were actually instructions rolled up inside that say let it float two days before trimming. So I will. There's a few wrinkles yet that should smooth out.

Anything else I should know about using a cover?

I learned that IF one gets algae, float the cover in the shock water as the algae is probably lodged in the spaces between the tiny little air bubbles. I'm just sayin'...it is highly unlikely that anyone who follows the BBB system will get algae, but one never knows...

Better a little too small than a little too big when you trim it. Anything not sitting on the water can get picked up by the wind.

I need to break out my solar cover and had the same questions. Thanks. Poolstore gave me a 16x32 (probably by mistake) instead of a 24x12 so I have a lot of trimming. Store is an hour away and there were several issues so didn't seem worth the effort to swap when I can trim although I hate the waste.

Sportsman said:
I need to break out my solar cover and had the same questions. Thanks. Poolstore gave me a 16x32 (probably by mistake) instead of a 24x12 so I have a lot of trimming. Store is an hour away and there were several issues so didn't seem worth the effort to swap when I can trim although I hate the waste.
I'm saving my trimmings. It's good stuff to disguise presents at Christmas.

Not sure how large your pool is, or if you're using a reel, but you may wish to consider cutting the cover in half to make it easier to manage. Those in windy environments may disagree, since there is an extra "edge" for the wind to catch, however splitting my cover made it much easier to remove, store and deploy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.