Closing down a 18' Intex above ground

May 29, 2010
What do i need to do to close the pool down? Is it just as easy to drain it and take it down ? Total newb so most detail as possible. Searching the forum for answers hasn't really helped but makes me want more questions answered lol

Yes, you need to drain it and store it for the winter. Vinyl + ice and cold weather aren't a good mix. After draining as much water as you can, it's a good idea to take old towels and dry it as best you can (we always let our sit out a couple of days after draining it to get good and dry). If you have or can borrow a submersible pump, it helps get the last few inches of water out that never seem to want to flow through the drain.

I agree with Nikki! I just finished pumping out mine and towel drying it. I've got to get it down today...it's supposed to rain tonight.

I've heard that using talc powder helps make sure to get all the missed moisture. I'm gonna try it...

Be sure you get ALL the water out of your pump/filter/SWG before you store them. I have my SWG tilted on it's side to make sure all the water is out.

it depends on where you live. In this part of NC a lot of people leave their Intex pools up all year. They remove the lines & plug the holes. It normally doesnt get cold enough to freeze any more than the top 1/2in of water & even then it is normally thawed within 1 day.

Just store it indoors or somewhere that critters can't get in it. My Intex became a party point for squirrels or mice (not sure which) who got trapped in the folds and then had to eat their way out. They even went right through the Kevlar reinforced bottom section that is almost impossible to patch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.