Mixing Chlorine Types

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
I am using bleach (Sodium hypolchorite) as my chlorine source. I have a bottle of powdered shock (sodium dichlor). I figured so long as I have it I'd use it up. ARe there any problems with mixing them?

Attachments

• Jeepster 001 - Copy.JPG
    Jeepster 001 - Copy.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 23
If you add an acid to any chlorine source, it can produce chlorine gas. Trichlor is very acidic so adding it to any hypochlorite source of chlorine would likely produce chlorine gas. Dichlor is acidic when accounting for chlorine usage, but is initially only slightly acidic so I suspect would produce less or possibly minimal chlorine gas, but I wouldn't try it.

As for explosiveness, that's more an issue with Cal-Hypo since it is flammable and gets hot when any liquid is added to it -- so you always add it to water and never add water to it. Adding acid to it is a double-whammy of heat/flammable plus chlorine gas and that can result in an explosion. That's why one never puts Trichlor into a Cal-Hypo feeder or vice versa, even if the feeder is empty (there can be dust leftover).

Richard

ok the only reason i ask is because, i used an old clorine bucket (about 5 gallons and it had some resadue left in it and i poured bleach in, i only smelled bleach, but do you think theres a rish i inhaled that stuff, there was only resadue, it was 3" tablets from leslies, and they were all used up, but there was resadue. thanks

RT, I wouldn't worry about the fumes. The gas is chlorine and while it's nasty, the effects don't last long. A bad taste in your mouth (if you smoke, the cigarettes taste 'off' for a few hours) and maybe a headache/ light headedness.

You should try opening a clogged tri-chlor feeder where the pucks have just been dissolving for a few days! :shock: - when you see that yellow/ green cloud - RUN, DON'T WALK!! I hope that you suffered nothing more than a bad taste in your mouth from your exposure - in the future, you'll know better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.