Bernoulli: Incoming!

Simbilis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2010
Just closed the deal with my preferred builder. He'll be here Thursday to get started.

Thank you all very much for making me a better-informed and prepared consumer. I don't know if I got the best deal, but it's considerably better than if I hadn't been able to lean on your experience.

Sim

No chance of that! Here we go. First a "before" picture:[attachment=2:2k1zrmh5]01Site.png[/attachment:2k1zrmh5]
after clearing out the crab apple tree and overgrown flagstone patio:[attachment=1:2k1zrmh5]02ClearedSite.png[/attachment:2k1zrmh5]
after helping unload the truck (long story)[attachment=0:2k1zrmh5]03KitDelivered.png[/attachment:2k1zrmh5]

Attachments

• 01Site.png
    01Site.png
    277.1 KB · Views: 498
  • 02ClearedSite.png
    02ClearedSite.png
    172.5 KB · Views: 498
  • 03KitDelivered.png
    03KitDelivered.png
    244.9 KB · Views: 493
Day one: Excavation.

The pool builder's crew and the excavators had obviously worked together many times before and knew exactly what they were doing. The backhoe operator was amazing; he could use the hoe as if it were an extra limb.
[attachment=2:1xccmh8t]04Measuring.png[/attachment:1xccmh8t]
[attachment=1:1xccmh8t]05Excavating.png[/attachment:1xccmh8t]
[attachment=0:1xccmh8t]06PoolLayout.png[/attachment:1xccmh8t]

Attachments

• 04Measuring.png
    04Measuring.png
    191.7 KB · Views: 440
  • 05Excavating.png
    05Excavating.png
    212.7 KB · Views: 440
  • 06PoolLayout.png
    06PoolLayout.png
    221.7 KB · Views: 440
Day one continued: Drains.

The builder spent a long time (over an hour) figuring out how best to manage the flow from the curtain drain. He shot elevations all over the yard and consulted the backhoe operator on dry wells. Eventually, after raising the elevation of the pool edge and changing the planned deep end from 8'6" to 8' even, he found a place to run the drain to.

[attachment=2:1c5ae5kx]07DeepEnd.png[/attachment:1c5ae5kx]
[attachment=1:1c5ae5kx]08GravelAndUnderDrain.png[/attachment:1c5ae5kx]
[attachment=0:1c5ae5kx]09RunToDaylight.png[/attachment:1c5ae5kx]

Attachments

• 07DeepEnd.png
    07DeepEnd.png
    238.3 KB · Views: 438
  • 08GravelAndUnderDrain.png
    08GravelAndUnderDrain.png
    223 KB · Views: 438
  • 09RunToDaylight.png
    09RunToDaylight.png
    247.9 KB · Views: 438
Day one: What do you mean "See you Monday"?

The crew left for the day at 3:30. C'mon guys, there are 24 hours in a day. Also, tomorrow will be sunny and mild - perfect for working on my pool!

Attachments

• 10ExcavationComplete.png
    10ExcavationComplete.png
    226.7 KB · Views: 438
I forgot the pool and price specs for 4JawChuck. Speaking of which, 4 jaws is overkill. No chuck should ever need more than 3 jaws ;)

Base price for the pool was $30K, and $9.25/sq ft for concrete, both of which are very high even for the Northeast. However, I was able to negotiate for about 400 sq. ft. of concrete at no charge, fill and some other material at cost, and a fixed $1K for drainage system. I don't really like the price, but it was the lowest credible one of the five quotes I got.

Pump is a Pentair IntelliFlo VS+SVRS. No heater yet, but I do need one. A friend has a DIY solar setup I may copy, and I'm looking for a used propane heater to help the solar keep up.

Edit: that was 400 extra feet, in addition to the ~600 included with the pool.

Thanks Sim, appreciate the pricing and pic updates. You can't beat gas heaters for instantaneous comfort, solar is nice but I consider it an add-on to a gas heater. I doubt you could heat your pool to 34C with solar in Vermont.

Keep up the good work!

As for extended working hours I have found free alcholic liquid refreshments tend to slightly extend the work day but there is an exponential decrease in work production after the first one. :cheers:

P.S. Four jaw chucks usually have serrations too! :lol:

[attachment=2:271koz3s]11WallPanels.png[/attachment:271koz3s]
[attachment=1:271koz3s]12LevelingPanels.png[/attachment:271koz3s]
[attachment=0:271koz3s]13Plumbing.png[/attachment:271koz3s]

I wasn't there during most of the wall assembly and plumbing, but I got a few pics. They're pouring the collar tomorrow morning.

There's one tee under the stairs for the dual stair returns, otherwise everything is a home run. Balancing with valves at the pad will no doubt be fun, but I knew that when I asked for it. It's all flex - anathema!

Attachments

• 11WallPanels.png
    11WallPanels.png
    222.5 KB · Views: 356
  • 12LevelingPanels.png
    12LevelingPanels.png
    213.9 KB · Views: 356
  • 13Plumbing.png
    13Plumbing.png
    169.9 KB · Views: 356

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's been rainy, and the liner was delayed, so progress has been slow. The liner should be here Monday.
[attachment=1:3una0jey]14PouringCollar.png[/attachment:3una0jey]

Not the best angle, but you can see that the hopper isn't symmetrical. The right side slope is at least 15 degrees steeper than the left side. The builder says they'll fix it on Monday. That may leave the drains slightly off center, but that doesn't seem like a major problem.
[attachment=0:3una0jey]15MainDrains.png[/attachment:3una0jey]

Attachments

• 14PouringCollar.png
    14PouringCollar.png
    231.6 KB · Views: 316
  • 15MainDrains.png
    15MainDrains.png
    214.5 KB · Views: 316
Another few days progress. The pool is now full of pond water...
[attachment=2:2ibs44j4]16Bottom.png[/attachment:2ibs44j4]
[attachment=1:2ibs44j4]17Liner.png[/attachment:2ibs44j4]
[attachment=0:2ibs44j4]18CurtainDrain.png[/attachment:2ibs44j4]

Attachments

• 16Bottom.png
    16Bottom.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 17Liner.png
    17Liner.png
    172.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 18CurtainDrain.png
    18CurtainDrain.png
    222.9 KB · Views: 272
The builder backfilled with crushed rock. I don't know if that was because of all my questions about concrete strength and cracking, but it probably didn't hurt.
[attachment=1:1y4verv5]19Backfill.png[/attachment:1y4verv5]

I found a problem. I was billed for a Pentair Intellibrite White LED. I just double-checked, and what I actually got is an Amerlite - Pentair, but not an LED. I think it's an honest mistake, and he should be able to just swap in the correct one when we close the pool. One more reason to make sure the equipment is itemized specifically on the invoice. I wish I'd checked it more carefully, but this should be OK.
[attachment=0:1y4verv5]20Light.png[/attachment:1y4verv5]

Attachments

• 19Backfill.png
    19Backfill.png
    237.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 20Light.png
    20Light.png
    188 KB · Views: 268
After all the backfilling and prep was done, they had to wait for a clear day to pour the concrete deck.
[attachment=2:2djpwes4]21Rebar.png[/attachment:2djpwes4]

Wednesday was clear and warm, a perfect day for the pour. Thursday and today have been warm with steady rain. Not good for working in, but excellent for curing the deck properly :-D
[attachment=1:2djpwes4]22Pour.png[/attachment:2djpwes4]
[attachment=0:2djpwes4]23Finished.png[/attachment:2djpwes4]

Attachments

• 21Rebar.png
    21Rebar.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 22Pour.png
    22Pour.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 23Finished.png
    23Finished.png
    204.3 KB · Views: 217
Yeah, pretty gross, but it was free and fast. To have clean water trucked in would have added at least $1,200 to the price, and filling from our well would have taken much too long.

When they added chlorine and algicide, the sediment settled out very quickly. It's a little murky now after all the rain. The pump and filter should be hooked up early next week, and they'll be able to get the gunk out.

Thanks :) I'd have less to celebrate without the help of folks here.

I've already told my wife I'm going down the slide at least once this year, even if I have to break through a layer of ice to get into the water. It'll be close - we're expecting frost tonight. Daytime highs in the 50's, nighttime lows in the 30's. I may have to do it in my Carhartt winter coveralls...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.