Spare pump for vacuum?

belgique

LifeTime Supporter
As a result of great help on another thread, I will soon have an extra pump (1.5HP Haywood). I'm wondering if I can add some adapters and use that pump for vacuuming when I have to vac to waste? Thinking it would be more powerful and, in my case, handy rather than having run to the installed pump to turn on/off and losing water while I do.

Would seem all I would have to do is figure out how to attach the hose to the inlet and put a hose on for waste. Comments? Thanks in advance. Steve

Don't know about how you would plumb it, but you don't want too much suction either.
My vac head doesn't even have stout enough bristles to keep it from getting stuck to my pool floor at times.
I have to rock the pole side to side to break it loose and once I had to run turn off the pump because I couldn't break it loose at all.

danbutter said:
Don't know about how you would plumb it, but you don't want too much suction either. My vac head doesn't even have stout enough bristles to keep it from getting stuck to my pool floor at times. I have to rock the pole side to side to break it loose and once I had to run turn off the pump because I couldn't break it loose at all.
Hmm...good point on the suction. No plumbing envisioned...just 2 hoses and break it down when finished and store in garage. Thanks for the food for thought.

The plumbing ought to be easy - just get some hose-to-threaded fittings and maybe some reducers and go. The wiring is where I'd get leery. You'd need a pretty stout power cord to feed that pump, and do you have outlets that can handle it? Was it plug-in or hardwired originally?

The other point is water usage. A 1.5 straight to waste will suck a several inches out of a 20'x40' by the time you are done. My old pool was a 20'x40' and I vacuumed to waste with a 3/4 hp and it did a good job and my well could almost keep up. On my new pool, I have a 1.5hp and it used water way too fast (maybe almost a foot if I did the whole thing) and it was hard to keep the vac moving. So I now vac to Filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.