How often to clean a cartridge filter ?

May 13, 2007
OK,

I have used the BBB method as explained here from the start. This is easy!

You guys pay way to much attention to EVERYTHING, or I am lax. My pool was filled January 3rd this year. NO problems , but CYA hit 30-50.

In May I installed a SWG, January to May I used "pucks" for chlorine. Since May I have added < 2 gallons of muriatic acid. nothing else.

I have yet to clean my filter, I empty my skimmer every three or four weeks, the pump basket gets looked at then... I have opened it three times. Water is always crystal clear, PH raises (hence the acid use). SWG at 50 %, pump runs 8 hours a day. I did change it to late afternoon/early evening around July.

Reply to people asking about bubbles and SWG. divide by 100 minutes instead of hours. At 50 % bubble are there first 50 minutes , disappear when it is off, another 50 minutes. (thats one hour and 40 minutes) then bubbles back.

I intend to use BBB if I ever need to but all I ever do is add acid. I check the rest but it is always the same, so it gets checked less frequently every time.

My cartridge filter started in January at 17 PSI, it is now at 17.5 PSI. Skimmer is emptied every 3-4 weeks (unless serious winds). Should I do more? or leave well enough alone ?

Calcium Hardness is high 400 +(vegas 350 tap water)
Alkalinity is high 200 + ( will try a to alter this fall)
PH 7.8 then I add avout a quart of acid (never measure after 2 weeks later 7.6 )
CYA ( 30-50) Never got a kit. Check with Leslie's and NPS occasionally
salt 3500. (thank god I didn't add the last bag).

So, Should I be emptying my skimmer/cleaning my filter or just wait until fall and clean my filter then ? It has yet to raise one pound in pressure over almost 8 months.

PS I am in Vegas. (Henderson for you Vegas people)

It sounds like you have a nicely oversized filter. Many people with an oversized cartridge filter only need to clean it out once a season.

Your levels are into the potential for scaling range. It would be best if you could bring down the TA.

my old cartridge start with 50 PSI.. and the flow really get low.. when it hits 85 PSI.. i have to backwash.. then it back to 50PSI.. then quickly build up again..
also didn't run the pump for a few months 12 weeks. i guess it is very heavy soil at the bottom of the pool.
i use a automatic cleaning head..

I intend to use BBB if I ever need to but all I ever do is add acid.
You're already using it. BBB doesn't mean adding some mandatory chemicals daily or any secret "tips". It means understanding what's needed for your pool and adding ONLY what you need.....you're doing it.

As Jason said, your T/A is too high.

hi, i just replace the old de filter, by a cartridge filter system. it flows nicely without any pressure build up. still sitting at zero.

i found that the water is not that clear as before.. can i use DE powder in cartridge filter? if not. anything else i can put in to make the water clear again?

I have a cartridge filter and noticed that the water clarity is improved if I run slightly on the negative side with the saturation index (about -0.2). You can use the Pool Calculator in The Stickies to calculate the index. Also, you can try running your pump a little longer to see if that makes any difference. I do not believe you should add DE to a cartridge filter (unlike doing so in a sand filter). If all else fails, you can use a clarifier, but that really should not be necessary.

Vegas, I am assuming you do not have a plaster pool due to only using 2 gals of acid in 4 months,(just a guess) I use that much in 1 week.

You might want to post the details (equip, setup, config) of your pool in the signiture, that way others can give better advice.

My filter pressure does not climb at all but I still clean my filter every other month. I guess it is better to get rid of any debris more often ( eventhough everyone says it is fine)

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your pool as much as I enjoy mine.

JCJR said:
Vegas, I am assuming you do not have a plaster pool due to only using 2 gals of acid in 4 months,(just a guess) I use that much in 1 week.

It is plaster 16*40 14500 gallon with a spillover spa. I used trichlor tabs for the first 5 months until the CYA got between 30 and 50. Then I added a SWG (goldline).

During the first 5 months I never did anything with the PH it held at 7.5 every time I tested. I added a little Clorox about once a week to supplement the trichlor. Never added anything else.

With the SWG I now use a bit more acid. Maybe a pint a week. The SWG is on 40 and my chlorine stays between 3 and 5. I run the pump on low 8 hours a day (just turned it down to 7 since its now below 100 daily).

JCJR said:
JCJR,

Unless your plaster pool is new or newly resurfaced so is curing, you should not need to add that much acid to the pool, especially in a non-SWG pool. I suspect that either your TA is too high or you have lots of water aeration features (waterfall, spillover). Your signature indicated "5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features" which sounds like lots of aeration. The solution to this is to significantly lower your TA level and if that has the pH be more stable then you can raise the CH somewhat to compensate (or run at somewhat higher average pH) and can also use Borates as an additional pH buffer if you get the TA really low. You can also disable the water features (if possible) when you aren't around to enjoy them.

My own pool is plaster and I add virtually no acid at all -- perhaps once in a season. But I keep my pool covered when not in use (electric opaque automatic safety cover) and have no aeration features whatsoever. I only add chlorinating liquid and no other chemicals. So my pH is rock solid.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.