LifeTime Supporter
Aug 21, 2007
West Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I received my LaMotte Borate test strips today. I haven't tested my pool in about 36 hours - here are my numbers:

FC - 0
CC - 1
PH - 8.0
TA - 90
CH - 180
CYA 70

Borates - 0

I am having such a hard time with the chlorine burning off. My PH used to be ok, but its off as well. I really want to completely turn to BBB - How much Borax and Muriatic Acid should I add? Do I add it gradually?

I have an inground, approx. 23,000 gallon plaster pool with spillover spa. It is very hot and dry here in the desert southwest.

Thank you all so much, again.

Vonda

You need to be consistant with the chlorine. If you let it go to zero you are eventually going to have problems.

You can use my Pool Calculator to calculate the amounts of borax and muriatic acid you need, see the link in my signature.

Thank you so much for the link. According to the calculator (which is wonderful). I will need 18 - 76 oz. boxes of Borax and 5 gallons of MA. I just put in chlorine and will test in the a.m. Do I need to have my chlorine at a certain level before adding the Borax and MA? When adding the Borax and MA, do I add it gradually and test in between? I am shooting for Borates of 50, is this good?

Thanks again,

Vonda

You can add the borax and acid any time. The chlorine level should be maintined to keep the pool sanitized but doesn't have any direct relationship with the borax.

Borates of 50 ppm is fine.

You should probably aim for about 40 ppm at first in case the calculation is off a little bit. Let that mix in overnight then test the borax level and see where you are. Then adjust the remaining quantites based on the level you test at that point.

When adding I would add three or four boxes of borax slowly through the skimmer and then a gallon of acid poured slowly in front of a return (all with the pump running), then repeat. Remove the skimmer sock if you are using one before doing this. Wait several hours with the pump running to allow everything to mix in and then test the PH and adjust as needed.

After 8 boxes of Borax and 2 gallons of MA - my numbers are as follows:

FC - 13
CC - 0
PH - 8 - could be higher
CYA - 55

Borates - 30 - 50 - the color falls between

I just added another gallon of the MA to bring down the PH - any advice on where to go from here. Should I have tested for TA?

Vonda

No need to test for TA.

Assuming you gave it enough time to mix, we can call that reading 40 ppm. I would try another 4 boxes of borax and another gallon of acid and see where that gets you. [[Four, perhaps even 4 1/2, boxes of borax because the last gallon of acid will probably have brought the PH down by too much.]]

I added 4 1/2 boxes of Borax and one gallon of MA - gave it time to mix and here are my numbers:

FC - 7
CC - .5 - not sure why that went up from 0
PH - 7.4
Borates - 50

How am I doing?

Thanks so much,

Vonda

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.