Small pool CYA question

JeffMD

Jun 22, 2010
I have a 1700 gallon pool and don't yet have a cya test for it. I've been swapping every other 2 days between using a small version (These are like half the size of a usual puck) trichlor tablets and plain old bleach. In each case I generaly loose between 1-2ppm a day, I was loosing more earlier but thats because I had a dirty bottem and was working out a way to vaccume this sucker with the crappy intex pump.

I dont have a cya test and I am afraid of it getting to high, but seeing as my ppm is allways in the 1-5 range then I don't think I have that much? The past several days I have been sticking one and only one tablet (half size of a puck) in the skimmer and when I test it the next morning, it is 1ppm, maybe less (very little color). Also TC and CC test don't change the color at all so I am assuming that means everything is good contamination wise.

If cya was getting high, would I be having a hard time getting FC to be low?

How are you measuring FC and CC? The yellow OTO test is very hard to read IMO. FC level should be proportionate to your CYA level. Whether 1-5ppm is adequate, we really can't be sure.

Walmart has a $19.97 HTH 6 way drop based kit that can test for CYA if $'s are a concern :goodjob:

dman, I picked up taylors pool and spa trouble shooting kit, it had a 3 drop fc/cc test to it. it also had a large tube for other test so I just need to buy the replacements for the cya test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.