Replace pump, or replace motor?

I bought my home 4 years ago and with it came a 25' above ground pool.

My pump motor has failed. When I plug it into an outlet with a GFCI, it pops immediately. When I plug it into a regular outlet, it either throws the breaker immediately, or in one case, smoke and sparks started coming from the plug. A few mishaps last season and this season, including a major leak that caused it to suck air for 12 hours led to its early demise. It gave up the ghost a couple of weeks after I fixed the leak, and was getting noisier each day before it failed.

The previous homeowner had a 2HP motor on the pump. Probably upsold by the pool builder. :roll: Or maybe he was Tim Allen.

I was looking at replacement motors, knowing that 2HP is way too much for a 25'x52" AGP. It looks as if a 1.5HP motor is going to run around $225, if I install it myself. I am not real handy, and am a bit worried about replacing seals, dealing with leaks, etc. I have replaced hoses and the o-ring for the pump basket, and a few other minor things in the past.

While pricing motors, I found this on Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1580X15 ... 477&sr=8-3

That is a very similar pump to what I have, I have some kind of Hayward Power-Flo with a 2HP A.O. Smith motor.

So, for less money than a replacement motor, I can replace my whole pump, and save the old pump to scavenge for spare parts.

What would you do? I don't understand how it is possible to replace my entire pump for less money than a replacement motor. Do you think this is fully assembled? Would it just be a matter of pulling the hoses from the old pump, moving it, and hooking up the hoses and electricity to the new pump?

I know I would be better off with a two speed motor, but I can't afford one right now. Maybe next season?

Thanks!

I'd replace the whole thing, though I think 1.5HP is still too big. I have 20'X36' inground and a 1HP is plenty of pump.

If you replace the motor, you'll have to replace the impeller as well, because the motor will still try to move as much water as the larger motor and will overheat.

Yeah, I thought about the 1HP, but we are not sure that it would have enough 'oomph' for vacuuming. We are also thinking of buying an inexpensive suction side automatic cleaner, such as Diver Dave or Aqua Bug. Would a 1HP motor be sufficient for those?

One more thing. What is the best way to keep from losing my water while I change out the hoses? Jam something into the hose inthe bottom of the skimmer or what? I know you pros must have a trick for this kind of thing!

Poke your finger down the skimmer where it joins the pipe. If it is threaded, you can get a 1 1/2" threaded plug to screw in the opening. You can also try an old fashion rubber sink plug either with the ring on top like they used to use in a bathtub or the round, flat piece of rubber. If you use a flat piece of rubber you may need to weigh it down with a rock.

kplaster said:
Check out poolsupply.com...Good price now,then add $20 discount make's it better!!!!I use to use a towelor a wash cloth..I would recomend putting some valve's on it..

I could not find a website for poolsupply.com. I found www.poolsupplies.com, but the Haywards there were a lot higher than they are at Amazon.com. They do have some cheaper pumps, but they are from manufacturers that I have never heard of before.

embellisher said:
kplaster said:
Check out poolsupply.com...Good price now,then add $20 discount make's it better!!!!I use to use a towelor a wash cloth..I would recomend putting some valve's on it..

I could not find a website for poolsupply.com. I found http://www.poolsupplies.com, but the Haywards there were a lot higher than they are at Amazon.com. They do have some cheaper pumps, but they are from manufacturers that I have never heard of before.
sorry about that...you did get the right one...They do have very good service...I bought my complete filter&pump system through them 3 yrs ago during the winter..Saved a bunch...Look like they were more than Amazon...Good price ...Cannot go wrong with the Hayworth..I've got 1 horse..Had to replace the shaft seal this year other than that no other problem with the system..good luck...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have a 27x52 AGP and I use a threaded cap that I got from Home Depot to plug the hole in the skimmer. One thing I noticed about an AGP, it is super hard to get the darn lid off the pump basket if you ever want to clean it out!

I also have the pool rover jr pool cleaner. I LOVE it! It runs of its own power supply. Just drop it in and leave it for an hour and let it do it's thing. I have a lot of pinestraw that loves to fall into my pool. So sometimes I have to pull it out every 30 mins and clean out the filter bag. But it picks up fine dirt and particles great!

My new pump came yesterday. I didn't get a chance to work on it until this morning. Took about 30 minutes and the new one is now circulating my swamp. Hopefully I will be swimming again by Sunday or Monday. Got my chlorine up to shock levels, I am sure I will need to work on the ph once I get the algae under control. This new pump is so much quieter than the old one was! We first turned the old pump back on back in June of 2007, and even then it was a lot noisier than the new one. You can barely hear the new one at all. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.