Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi,

I have a Vinyl pool that is 18x36 (8 foot deep end), it has been aprox 1 year since the construction.

I have a Sand Filter, 1.5 HP pump, Aqua Logic P4 system with Aqua Logic Salt System.

I ordered the Test kit based on the fact that I often hear the Pool store kids don't always get it right.

I'm just not sure where to start now, what exactly should I be testing and how often, are there detailed instructions for someone that has never done this before and isn't super comfortable.

Also, My inground Stairs have Rust like spots all over them, I was told it could be copper and I need to test for it. Am I able to do that with the TF-100? if not then what do I do?

I also have a lot of black grease like substance in the skimmer that I don't know how to get rid of.

Thank you for any feedback and assistance you can provide.

I can answer the part about the instructions. I had never owned a pool either and was worried about what I was getting into. The instructions that come with the kit make it very easy to do. It has step by step instructions on exactly what to do. Most of the testing involved filling up a tube with pool water to a certain ml size and then using the different chemicals that are labled and just droping the amount of drops it ask for in that order and mixing it. It is very easy to do even for someone who has never done it before.

Use the instructions that came with the kit. If you have questions there is a sticky at the top of this section that has extended testing instructions. There's also a set of instructions on one page.

To get rid of the scum line you can use Mr.Clean Magic Erasers. To keep them away get some scum balls they absorb the oils, etc before they deposit on the surfaces.

You made some good choices, there.

Initially, I was testing the water every day. I was actively trying to reduce TA. Then, with pumpouts and rainwater dilution, it needed a lot of adjustment. Now, I test every couple days, or after I've done something major - like pumping out and refilling or aggressively reducing TA just before leaving for vacation.

In a few weeks, it will become very routine, like making coffee. You'll probably know, before you test, what numbers you will see, and how much of what you need to add to make it all perfect.

That speedstir is the best, especially for the CH test, which takes a loooooong time if you have real hard water.

Thansk for the replies, I plan to get over my fear and just sit down with all this stuff and read through the instructions.

Typically after you get everythign balanced correctly, what percentage are you able to bring your Salt Water Generator to?

My Aqualogic is set to 50% and I run my pump 12 hours from 6am to 6pm and when I go to the pool store they usually tell me that my chlorine is just right so I've always left it there.

Chlroine demand varies somewhat between pool to pool. However it is usually between 1 to 3 ppm per day. I have attached a spreadsheet that may allow you to calculate your chlorine demand. Another test is to perform the over night FC loss test. I believe it is explained in the pool school link locate at the top of the web page.

Attachments

• Chlorine Production Calculations.xls
    68.5 KB · Views: 12
Hey Rockstead-- ever find out what the black greasy stuff is on the skimmer walls??? I have the same thing and when I touch it to empty the basket it is extremely hard to get off of my hands. Let me know if you have a solution. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.