Closing pool for the season ...

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Covington, Georgia
First off I would like to thank Duraleigh,Jasonlion and all the rest who helped us get our pool to FINALLY CLEAR UP. On Sunday past or pool was cloudy and we went and got the chlorine as Duraleigh recommended and put it in that afternoon. We went back early evening and it was clearing up! Unfortunaltly Sunday night I had the the unfortunate opportunity to experience a heart attack ! :( I was hospitalized from Sunday night untill yesterday evening. When my wife and I got home home, first place we headed was to the pool to see had it cleared up at all. I couldnt believe it did and was still clear!
My question now is how should we go about closing it for the season? Last year we shocked with store shock and put a cover over it until spring but in the spring the cover was full of leaves and such. Does anybody have any suggestions or a routine they do with an above ground pool for keeping leaves off of the cover?? Someone had suggested getting some big inner tubes and floating them in the center of the pool and this will keep the leaves to the outside edge instead of collapsing into the middle of the pool and the water getting all nasty ...
Any suggestions will help
Thanks
PS ... We are taking a water sample in tomorrow to be tested. Should I get them to test for everything or just chlorine?

Tiz, sorry to hear about the heart attack :( - hope you are feeling much better now! Glad to hear that the pool cleared up :goodjob:
With an AG pool, something floating in the center, under the cover, will tend to push water and debris to the edges for easier removal. As long as we're talking about closing the pool - before you close, be sure that your chems are good and that there's no debris in the pool!! Shock it with a 2X dose of chlorine and use poly 60 algicide to keep the 'nasties at bay' over the winter months. If you have more questions, we will help you!!!

Welcome to TFP(!) and don't stress so much over your pool that you end up in the hospital again!! :hammer:

So glad your still with us Tiz! That's a scary situation and glad you made it through! I find it compelling that through your life threatening ordeal, your first thought when you got home was "how's the pool"! You're a trooper, hang in there and listen to guys like WASTE!

Until I found you guys and started reading the posts and asking ?'s we were spending lots of unessessary $$$ in chems and once I learned about the simple inexpensive everyday chems I could get at the grocery store you betchya I was headed to the pool first chance I got ! :-D :)

Tiz, Sorry to hear about your heart attack. :cry: Glad you are back home and apparently doing very well! :-D Don't let the pool worry you. IMHO, there is nothing that can happen to a pool that can't by fixed on TFP members! :wink: Lots of great info and help here.

Take care of yourself.

Joyce

Sorry to hear about your heart attack, but glad you're still with us! We use an air pillow/ice compensator that our pool store/builder "gave" us that floats in the center of the pool, under the winter cover. it does cause the leaves to collect in the low area between the pillow and the edge of the pool. The bigger problem is keeping water off of the cover. Some water is desired to keep the cover from flapping in the wind, but too much will cause the cover to tear. You can get siphon pumps to pump the water off.

I think the certificate we got said the air pillow/ice compensator was like $10 at the pool store. We reuse it every year (the pillow, not the certificate! :) ).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.