Nazareth, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
The cheapest bleach I've found in my area is $1.27 for a 96oz bottle of 6% at Wally World. I have actually found my local grocery store (Giant) carries a 96oz jug of their generic brand bleach for only $0.97 each. Only problem with it though is that it is not labeled with any percentage of sodium hypochlorite. So I have no idea if what I'd be getting is 6% or what.

Assuming it IS 6%, it's a great deal, and I'm almost willing to try some out and see if it is as effective as the Wally World generic brand I've been purchasing. I figure that since I know how effective 6% bleach is in my pool, if I add one of these unmarked bottles and it returns the same expected levels, then I can assume it really is 6%.

But my concern is whether or not it could contain other impurities that perhaps I should be avoiding. Does anyone know if a generic brand like this could contain anything else other than chlorine (albeit perhaps a lower concentration) and water??

Is it worth the experimentation, or should I just stay away from it? What would the experts here do???

Thanks,
Tim

It could be a really good deal, but I highly doubt it.

My wife picked up a jug of bleach for the laundry at Smart & Final. It's supposedly a wholesale place, right? Should be good deals on cleaning supplies, right? It says plain as day active ingredient 2.75% sodium hypochlorite. Wow, real powerful stuff, huh?

Since you're aware of the possibility that it's less than 6% and you're ready to experiment a little, it wouldn't hurt anything to try it. Unless it has scents or thickeners in it it only contains chlorine, salt and water.

I had bought some Better Valu bleach at a local grocery store - 1 gallon cost $1. Just like you found with your bleach, there's no % for the sodium hypochlorite on the label. This thread got my curiosity twitching, so I just sent an inquiry to their customer service asking what the % is . . stay tuned and I will post back on what they say.

Jan

I've always been leery of bleach which does not have the concentration listed on the label. I think the first I saw was a house brand at a Kroger in Katy, TX some years ago. I didn't buy it and got Clorox instead. Still won't get unlabeled, or rather, undisclosed, bleach. Even if I had to clean up a blood spill, which... you know... COULD happen to anyone... I mean, come on..., I'd want to know how much I'd need to use. Recommended for blood-borne pathogens is around 1:100, or about 1/4 cup per gallon of water. That is SUPPOSED to make around a 500ppm solution, but not with cruddy bleaches like the 2.75% stuff.

What? Like you never have to clean up a few litres of blood from the basement floor every week? Ummm....wait... OK folks, move along. Nothing to see here...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.