Installation of Loop Loc cover anchors

Lana537

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Hello all~~

I am posting this in the Under Construction forum because I wish to attract the opinion of builder/contractor folk as well as those members who have recently gone through a pool build.

Earlier this year we had a complete renovation done on our inground concrete pool. All payments are made. The builder has yet to install the Loop Loc pop-up anchors for our new cover.

Our pool is surrounded by a new Belgard paver patio. The pavers are roughly 4 inches thick; they sit on their sand base, which is over a substantial extra-deep sub-base. Polymeric sand is between the pavers. The paver sizes are roughly 8"x12", 8"x8", and 4"x8", in a mixed pattern, including many much smaller pieces and slivers cut to make curves and such.

The following is not detailed in our contract: DH and I understood, from conversations with the builder, months ago, that deep holes are drilled (maybe 9 or 12 inches) for every anchor, a long thin pipe goes into each hole and that the brass anchors then sit in the long thin piping giving it a strong position down to the sub-base.

Now that it is time to do the work, we understand through the installation subcontractor/pool care company that these deep holes with the piping will not be done---that short holes only the depth of the brass anchors will be drilled and the anchors will be attached only to the paver itself--no anchoring will go below the paver into the sub-base. I can understand doing short holes in a solid concrete surround or sidewalk, but with pavers? I have visions of the Loop Loc cover pulling the pavers up, if not right away then maybe next year or the year after.

I phoned Loop Loc, but their representative would not offer a clear opinion on my situation.

I would be grateful for your opinions and experience.

Thank you very much!

Lana

Call the builder. Do not allow a subcontractor to drill into the pavers and insert the 4 inch brass anchors that way. The proper way is what was originally described to you. Furthermore, the holes should not be drilled into the middle of the paver at all. The holes are drilled between the pavers and the pipe is sunk into the sub base.
If they suggest that drilling into the pavers is the only way they will do it, find another contractor that knows what they are doing.

DO NOT let them drill into your pavers unless they are installing paver tubes.. PERIOD

This is from loop locs site

If we have a paver/brick deck can we use a Loop-Loc Cover?
Absolutely! Loop-Loc's anchor-in-pipe installation is the perfect application for paver/brick decks. The pipe holds the anchors firmly into place allowing the cover the remain taut all winter long. No wear and tear on the deck, will not pull or ruin pavers/bricks whatsoever. For additional information on anchor-in-pipe please contact your Loop-Loc dealer or our customer support department at 800-562-5667.

Anchors need to be far enough away from the pool edge!!

Hello All~~

After being away on business for a few weeks, I spent the day in the back yard raking leaves and generally cleaning around the covered pool. It occurred to me that I never came back to tell you how the Loop-Loc story ended. Once again, I hope that someone out there benefits from this tidbit of knowledge that I learned too late.

The builder did come back sometime in October I think it was, and installed the pop-up pins after drilling down deep and inserting those tubes. He put the anchor pins right in the middle of the pavers. So far nothing bad seems to have resulted--no cracked pavers, no pavers pulling up.

However--here is the lesson to be learned: the anchor pins are not far enough away from the pool! The cover sags even though all of the straps are as tight as they can go. Had he thought about this a bit (or had I been there in person to suggest it), he would have realized that his spacing was poor. :hammer: When leaves collect on the cover, the entire center of the cover is in the water. He should have let out the slack in the straps, determined a generous distance for the anchors, and then the cover could be snugged up out of the water.

Our old Loop-Loc cover was as tight as a drum--keeping it clean was literally a breeze; the wind would blow most of the leaves off.

Lana

The buckles are as far up as they can go? Normally, guys that do loop loc installs know how far out to go from the edge of the pool. Generally, you go out far enough so that about half of the strap is used. That way you can adjust tighter or looser once you get the cover attached on each end.
Did you pay them yet?

Wow. Hard to believe a pro would do that. IIRC mine said at least 18", and I did that with good results. Sounds like your installer wasn't very experienced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been installing Meyco Products branded safety covers for ten years... I drill 36" from inside of coping as a rule. The cover will stretch over the first season and for the rest of it's life. It's also important that the water level is maintained over the winter to both support accumulating snow/ice and to maintain the safety feature of the cover which is the elimination of drowning risk.

nglessner said:
I've been installing Meyco Products branded safety covers for ten years... I drill 36" from inside of coping as a rule. The cover will stretch over the first season and for the rest of it's life. It's also important that the water level is maintained over the winter to both support accumulating snow/ice and to maintain the safety feature of the cover which is the elimination of drowning risk.

Ive always done 32, ill give that 36 a try on my next cover.

Saw this post and wanted to ask a follow-up question to the forum. I'm at the design phase of my pool but wanted to ensure I'm placing enough concrete decking around the perimeter to allow for safety cover. On the area's of the pool where I won't be placing furniture and want to maintain more yard I like the look of minimal decking next to grass and wanted to only do a 18" wide decking in those area's.
Is there a minimum deck width needed to install a safety cover like the Loop-Loc? Thanks.

Theoretically, you can install a safety cover into dirt, using the 15" anchor pipes discussed in this thread. However if more than 30% of the perimeter is anchored this way, it will no longer be considered a "safety" cover.

An 18" deck width is pretty marginal, although it could be done (assuming it's concrete). Consider though that 18" is not very convenient to move around on when performing maintenance.

I am going to install a Loop Loc cover on my pool at the end of the season. A few questions: am I better off getting a solid cover with the built in drain vent or the newer type mesh covers that supposedly block out 99% of sunlight. Also I am installing into brick pavers, instead of using Loop Locs 15 inch pipe (expensive) can I make my own from using 3/4 inch galvanized pipe cut down to 15 inches?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.