Feedback on colorlogic LED's

Jul 13, 2007
I am about to have to make a decision regarding the lights for our new pool (16x24x42 Grecian L). We have a niche under the diving board (long end) and another in the L so that they are perpendicular to each other. My family really likes the colorlogic lights but I am wondering if they will be worth the additional cost. I browsed this forum and there were several member who were planning to install these earlier this summer. Just wondering if they (or anyone else) would be willing to chime in about their experience with the lights. Our option is to install plain white pentair lights. Thanks in advance.

Here are some pics - my pool is a 34feet long so your results may differ. I like 'em. I've intended to shoot video of them changing colors but I haven't got around to it.

DSC00948.jpg

DSC00947.jpg

DSC00946.jpg

I personally love my ColorLogics. I have 2 in my pool and 1 in my spa. You can have them in sync or wire separately. They do have multiple modes for how your light will operate. It is simply changed by turning off the light and turning it back on to change the setting. I have shot a short video of my lights in "Disco Mode". There are several settings which also include very slow fades into each color, etc. Good luck in your choices.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i112.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid112.photobucket.com/albums/n186/divnkd101/FamilyPics2003CannonPowershot.flv"></embed>

Nighttime Photo

06101903.jpg

At first, I decided to use the upgrade cost for the lights on more decking or a SWG, I did not think I will use the lights enough to offset the cost. So I did not purchase them when I signed my contract. During construction my PB told my the regular lights I was getting cost $175 a piece. I found the Colorlogics on ebay for $399 each so I ordered them for $800 with the thought of having them install them instead of the regular lights and sell those on Ebay for $!50-$200 with a net cost of $600 for both lights installed. My PB gave me credit for the full $175 apiece ($350) so it only cost me $450 for the upgrade. With all that said, I was still not convinced that the lights are worth it until my first night time party, Everyone was raving about my lights, even family members who upgraded to sam lights for $500 more on their pool build. I use them 3-4 times a week and we use different colors and are amazed at how some colors look like neon lighting plus the fact that they are supposed to last longer and save on electricity. I am now convinced I made the right choice. My only regret is that there are supposed to be newer 3.0 lights that are brighter and I missed ordering them by a couple of months.

Thanks for all of the input and certainly the pics and video. More than one person has mentioned the 3.0 version....are they available yet. The ones listed on E-bay appear to be 2.5. We are not planning on any kind of automation so I am wondering about location for the switch. The equipment pad will not be a good spot since it is away from the pool. I had a fiend that had a switch installed out at the pool just off the deck but I was also wondering if it would be possible to run the wires through the attic and down to the back patio? Any thoughts from you guys that have crossed that bridge already?

My lights did not come with remote control. My on/off switch is on my equipment pad and I DO NOT recommend this setup (unless you have a remote). To change my lights I have to walk back and forth to flip the switch then walk to see which color and walk back and flip, continue till I get the right color. I am trying to automate this process but no one reponded to my thread. I might run the wiring up the wall into the attic and then somewhere else but I prefer to automate.

JCJR said:
My lights did not come with remote control. My on/off switch is on my equipment pad and I DO NOT recommend this setup (unless you have a remote). To change my lights I have to walk back and forth to flip the switch then walk to see which color and walk back and flip, continue till I get the right color. I am trying to automate this process but no one reponded to my thread. I might run the wiring up the wall into the attic and then somewhere else but I prefer to automate.

Any competent electrician can install a light switch at the pad, the house and one poolside, it only costs the time they spend and the materials they use. But it's a good suggestion you made, folks building a pool should think about where they may want to 'activate' the multicolored lights!

waste said:
JCJR said:

Any competent electrician can install a light switch at the pad, the house and one poolside, it only costs the time they spend and the materials they use. But it's a good suggestion you made, folks building a pool should think about where they may want to 'activate' the multicolored lights!

ok i have a swith in my house, but its annoying to go in there, is it possible to have one over by my seating area, or will the wetness hurt it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JCJR said:

Really, I thought it was part of the package. Does your switch have a On/Off/remote selection? or just on/off? If it has a remote, I would look into buying one, it may work out cheaper than hiring an electrician.

crazycanuck said:
Really, I thought it was part of the package. Does your switch have a On/Off/remote selection? or just on/off? If it has a remote, I would look into buying one, it may work out cheaper than hiring an electrician.

My lights only came with the casing and 100ft of cable. They get connected to a regular light switch where your PB can put any where ( obviously the further away from the equip pad the more his cost goes up). My PB quoted me $1200 upgrade for two Colorlogic with a remote control switch. I guess it is an aftermarket switch that you can add for $50-80 dollars, but when you are charging $1200 (+ saving two lights that he is not installing) he can put it anywhere. I'm sure using X-10 technology I can swap out my switch with a X-10 switch and make it wireless. I just haven't done the research yet.

I went with the ColorLogic LED light. Only have one light in a Fiber Glass, 35x18. And honestly, it's not as bright as I would like it. I should have gone with two of them. But it is cool at night when I turn the pumps onand the heater, and set the LED light to various color show....it pisses my neighbor off who works 2 jobs and only sleeps 4 hours every two days! Lifes a ***** when you call the city permit office on me! 8)

Next summer....outdoor speakers, connected to my Sonons streaming audio system!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.