every time I vacuum my spa turns to muck.

Jul 30, 2010
Im starting to think this pool with this house I bought is going to be a never ending money pit. I have put in all new filters in attempt to fix this problem, but yet when ever I vacuum my pool it seems like the filter cant keep up and just dumps all the dirt into the spa? The pool is a 15K inground with a attached spa, and a 320 sf clean and clear plus filter system. Any Ideas on what could be causing this.

Here are my numbers as of late.

FC-7
CC-0
ph-7.5
ta-80
ch-400
cya-60

Trying to figure out also what I need to adjust the water really irritates peoples eyes, any levels I could change to make the water better?

IMG_2380.jpg

Do you have any information from the previous owner, like if they used a robot to clean the pool? I am wondering if there is a blown gasket somewhere or if the filter is plumbed wrong.

The online manual may have some information that will help you.

No robot that I know of. The previous owner had not lived in the house for 2 years. They had a pool company adding chemicals for 2 years, but never did any maintenance or cleaning. Pool was a mess but in the last month I have got it swimable again.

How big is your pump and what is the normal operating pressure on the filter? Also looking at the plumbing again, there is a line labeled "cleaner", so they may have used a robotic cleaner in the past, especially if they had the same trouble when trying to vacuum the pool. Can you post a picture of the filter showing the inlet and outlet for the water? Also it looks kind of like a second filter in the same area.

I have added info to my last 2 posts and I am not sure you saw it. I added a link to an online manual and a couple more questions about your set up. I'm not sure what the problem could be, but I am hoping the pool service guys will be able to trouble shoot this for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Melt In The Sun said:
So if you have the return set to both spa and pool, only the spa gets muck in it; no dirt coming out the pool returns? And it only happens in the spa when you're vacuuming?

Yes that is correct. It does seem like it does get filtered out after an hour or so, just seems really weird that it does this. What I have been doing is after I vacuum I put the vacuum in the spa and let it sit and the dirt eventually goes away. Its almost like the skimmer return takes water and dumps it into the spa then it goes into the filter. Im wondering do I need to just shut off all the valves to the spa and only have the pool valves open when I am vacuuming? My local pool store guy told me it should not matter and he thought it was the filters and that's why I ended up getting new ones to see if that would work.

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.