How do you store your chems?

Mine are in my basement

I have a 'well out' set of steps and a door to my basement that is convenient for my pool area. I bought two sets of plastic shelving from Lowes and I'm good to go. Dry, cool and locked away from kids and other possible problems.

I don't have much of a choice but to store my chem’s outside. Being in Central Texas, our summers get a little warm. I don’t want to store them in my shed for various reasons. This leaves me the option of the best area where I can secure them which near my equipment pad. My equipment pad will be enclosed in a 10 x 12 area behind privacy fencing. The pad site only receives a few hours of morning sun.

I am thinking of building a few simple shelves with top cover and covering the front & sides with lattice to allow air circulation with the front being lockable. The plan is to have one shelving unit for various chems and another shelving unit for chlorine seperated from one another by a number of feet. (Should this be ok?) All chems will be stored in opaque water proof storage containers. My goal is not to have much stored onsite to reduce waste and various problems. I have a Wally World five minutes from the house anyways as well of various other retail stores. Is my idea good or silly?

As I am waiting for the pool to be built, I am thinking of installing The Liquidator and go with BBB from the start. This will reduce the need of storing the chlorine to a very small amount. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

The lifetime of bleach falls off quickly as the temperature goes up. A very approximate rule of thumb is half the lifetime for each 10 degrees temperature increase over 70 degrees. 5 1/4% bleach is good for perhaps a year at 80, six months at 90, three months at 100. If it goes significantly over 100 there isn't much point in storing it. And all of those times are shorter if the concentration is higher.

Summer time here in DFW, my garage can be 90 degrees or higher for hours on end. I have my bleach stored in there, but only buy a month or 2 worth at a time. Any suggestions for alternative storage?

sammm said:
Summer time here in DFW, my garage can be 90 degrees or higher for hours on end. I have my bleach stored in there, but only buy a month or 2 worth at a time. Any suggestions for alternative storage?

Just buy it in smaller quantities and keep storing it in the garage. You have to go to the grocery at least weekly anyhow, so pick up enough for a week or two at a time. That's one of the pros to using bleach; you can pick it up just about anywhere and at just about any time.

Sabot said:
I don't have much of a choice but to store my chem’s outside. Being in Central Texas, our summers get a little warm. I don’t want to store them in my shed for various reasons. This leaves me the option of the best area where I can secure them which near my equipment pad. My equipment pad will be enclosed in a 10 x 12 area behind privacy fencing. The pad site only receives a few hours of morning sun.

I am thinking of building a few simple shelves with top cover and covering the front & sides with lattice to allow air circulation with the front being lockable. The plan is to have one shelving unit for various chems and another shelving unit for chlorine seperated from one another by a number of feet. (Should this be ok?) All chems will be stored in opaque water proof storage containers. My goal is not to have much stored onsite to reduce waste and various problems. I have a Wally World five minutes from the house anyways as well of various other retail stores. Is my idea good or silly?

As I am waiting for the pool to be built, I am thinking of installing The Liquidator and go with BBB from the start. This will reduce the need of storing the chlorine to a very small amount. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Your idea will work, but you probably don't even need that. The only chemicals you'll probably need to keep on hand at all times are chlorine and acid. Acid will keep pretty much forever in even fairly severe conditions. I keep mine in the garage. If you don't have a good place to store a bunch of chlorine, just buy smaller amounts and keep it in the laundry room. 4 or 5 jugs, more than enough for a week for most people, doesn't take up much space and you can replenish your supply on your normal grocery/wal-mart runs.

If you have an ongoing need for borax or baking soda, you can store those where you normally store such things.

CYA is about the only other thing you'll probably use semi-regularly and you can just buy that when you need it. Alternatively, you can chlorinate with tri-chlor or di-chlor when you need to add CYA. Those come in watertight containers and can be kept outside near the equipment pad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.