New place with a pool, Need help!

Hello All,

We recently moved into a new place and have a pool in the back yard. The pool is great and my kids enjoy it but it is pretty cold and doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight. There is a pump and filter on the side and a solar heating system piped to the roof. I see that the filter is running but I don't think the solar heater is on at all. I am a real noob when it comes to this stuff and was hoping some of you could lend your expertise on the subject. I have a bunch of pics of the filter and will post a pic of the pool as soon as I can.

The pool guy who comes by to check on it says it will cost $400 to fix the pump and another $400 per panel to fix the solar heating if they need repair (3 panels I think).

If you guys could help me identify what I have and point me in the right direction that would be great!

Thanks

4945673675_ee2c38c8ab.jpg

4945673241_d896a81d64.jpg

4946257680_44ba0dc27e.jpg

4945672779_c34fcd2339.jpg

4946257168_760101baa4.jpg

If you could shoot some close ups of the labels on the equipment that would help. Also post a picture of your pool. I am sure it is larger than 1000 gallons! Approximately how long, wide and deep is the pool?

That big green box in the back looks like it could be a heater. You might have a cartridge filter. The thing with the aqua chlor sticker looks like a it may be automation, such as timers.

From your signature it looks like your not sure what material the pool is made of. If it feels smooth with a little "give" to it is probably a vinyl liner. Try and see if a magnet sticks to the inside wall of the pool. If it does then you have steel walls and a vinyl liner. A plaster pool feels very hard and will hurt your knuckles if you knock on the walls. A fiberglass pool may feel very smooth and is not as hard on the knuckles if you knock on the wall.

Welcome to TFP! Many of us started out just like you did!

Start reading Pool School to get familiar with things. I would also encourage you to get yourself a high quality test kit such as the TF-100 (link in my sig line).

Have you run the solar panels yet? As far as I know, you just turn the valves so water is directed into the solar panels and watch for leaks. Hopefully one of the members with solar panels will comment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.