Has anyone else been caught up in a PayPal nightmare?

gonefishin

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
Joliet, Il.
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I've heard the stories before...but now I'm living it :twisted: Talking to their customer service is about as useful as breathing underwater. I have now sent them my payment via USPS in the form of a cashiers check. I sure hope this gets resolved.

As soon as it does get resolved I'm canceling my PayPal account! I know that they're just soooooo convenient, but I'll do without the merchandise/services of companies that only do business through PayPal. This is nothing against the companies who use PayPal...but there is no way I could use them after this B.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: !

dan

Customer service seems to be a thing of the past. There are so very few companies that give even decent customer service anymore. More often than not, your calls are routed to call centers in India. The people are polite and well intentioned, but only know how to follow a script and never seem to fully comprehend what you are telling them.

If I stopped doing business with all of them, I'd have no phone, cell phone, internet, tv... the list goes on. I used to get fed up and vow never to do business with company xyz, only to find out that the competitor abc was no better. What aggrivating is that we have ourselves to blame. Poor customer service is the inevitable result of continually shopping based on price alone.

The only recommendation I could make about paypal, is that when dealing with companies who take paypal, you usually have the option of checking out without using a paypal account - just using your credit card so you can at least make a secure payment.

Thanks for the advice Sean! I agree that I can't stop doing business with every company that has poor customer service. But PayPal is tying up my money when their system was/is the cause. It's like a horrifying loop of PayPal much that I'm caught in. I just want out!

dan

Within the test kit business, I deal with Paypal everyday. I think the key is to NEVER MAKE A MISTAKE!! As dumb and offensive as that sounds, it's about the only way to keep from shooting somebody.

All the transactions you do must be gone over with a magnifying glass before you send or request money sent to you. If all the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed, the transaction will go smoothly. If you make even the slightest, well-intentioned slip-up....well, you're toast....you are relegated to the land of the Indians in customer service and, as Sean says, while they are very well-intentioned, I firmly believe part of their job description is to wear you out.

One of the PayPal reps had said that the problem started when the seller gave a partial refund (he over estimated the shipping). Because the transaction was already in process now the transaction was put on hold. I tried to manually pay my (now) negative debt with a manual credit card transaction, which is on file and I always use with no problems...even recently. But the credit card now brings up an error saying that PayPal is having a problem with their credit card processing to try back later. I tried, with no success, for 48hours. Customer care has been useless. I called my credit card company and they showed that Paypal has tried to access the account with a charge, but they were refused for the wrong expiration date. I haven't changed anything on my account, I have used that card thru Paypal recently and the card shows the correct date within my profile. They keep telling me it's my problem...I explain, No. this is on your end. They reply saying I should pay my debt. But I can't! I ended up sending a cashiers check to their P.O. box...I just hope there aren't any further problems...I just want to be done with them.

At least the seller got his money...it really was nice of him to give me a refund. But I wish he wouldn't have :(

dan

Its in their job description, "Make them fix it so you don't have to."

I had my youngest son decide to purchase a software upgrade without my permission using my credit card through paypal. So whe I saw the odd charge, I called the credit card company who asked me to contact PayPal. They said "If you didn't want the software, you should not have ordered it." I said I did not - my credit card company said they would do a chargeback if PayPal would not at least trace what the item was and the IP address/time/date of the transaction. Boy, they did that fast enough then! It was my kid, at 3am one morning. Who, by the way had no internet for 3mths after that, had to cut wood and clean parrot cages to repay the debt. But at least my credit card company had some clout!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sammm said:
My PayPal account is funded by my AMEX card. If there's any trouble (has happened a few times), I go to AMEX and let them deal with PayPal on my behalf.

This is one reason I always use Amex for the paypal account or other online type purchases! My DH is a paypal/ebay junkie and he originally had our debit card linked to paypal...I almost had a heart attack when I found that out and stood next to him until he changed it to Amex. At least we now have the backing of Amex if there is fraud that occurs.

We have had many issues through paypal and luckily Amex has backed us all the way or at least leveraged their weight to get the vendor or paypal to move in the proper direction.

Ohmboy, I couldn't imagine the frustration you must have had with your dealings with PayPal. My problem is relatively minor compared to many of the stories I've read about. Until now it's just always been a story, not a reality :(

Amex does seem like the way to go...get some backing if you do encounter any problems. I've sent my money in...hopefully everything will soon be cleared up.

dan

I don't know how it is these days, since ebay bought them, but not too many years ago, they'd just decide to lock an account, and never say why other than some cryptic allusion to there being 'activity which triggered their proprietary security measures'. Then they would start demanding documentation via fax or mail, most of which they had no business seeing, like several months of bank statements, copies of mortgage payments, id documents well above and beyond what is legally required to prove one's identity. You'd have to fax them a stack of stuff, then they'd go away for a couple of months... with the account still locked. After a few attempts to get them to tell you what was going on, they'd request more arcane, non-relevant info. After two or three deals like that, you *MAY* get your account unlocked. And they'd never tell you why they ever locked it.

They simply said that their anti-fraud measures would be compromised if they disclosed anything, and since they weren't a bank, they didn't have to submit to federal regulations.

Note that they still allowed payments to go INTO the account, but vendors couldn't get it OUT. Customers who's money had been processed rightfully wanted their products, but vendors were unable to use the money, couldn't pay salaries and warehouse fees, and while I wasn't shut down by it, many lost their entire businesses to Paypal's 'antifraud measures'.

They scare the BeGeorges outta me now.

Ohm_Boy said:
They scare the BeGeorges outta me now.

:shock:

WOW...now that's a scary story! Hope everything turned out well in the end.

All I want is for them to mark the account paid (which I know they already received the cashiers check) then I want to close the account. Hopefully I can get that done without too many problems.

dan

Kinguni said:
Once they close an account you can never create a new one or even make a purchase using any credit card or bank account that was tied to that account if the vendor uses PayPal (such as TF Test kits). Just a word of warning.

I didn't know that bit of information! I believe you may have just saved me some more difficulties in the future, THANKS!

My Paypal account is now at zero showing that they received the check by mail. :?

What an operation they run. Strange to say the least!
dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.