head hurts from banging it against the wall

dorpo75

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 8, 2009
NE Ohio
Listening to people at work complaining about how they have a green pool and have spent a ton of money on it and now they want to close it early I am amazed :shock: Amazed because when I suggest this awesome site and how easy it is to maintain a truly clear and sanitized pool for pennies a day they look at me like I am speaking in foreign tongue and have 12 heads all speaking at once :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

I for one am done suggesting! I will now just post a picture of my pool outside my door with the caption under it that reads "Sparklypoolitis can be yours. Inquire within". :party:

I guess you can't MAKE someone save money and time, can you? :hammer:

The problem with your method is that it requires daily attention. Most people want to pour in some magic elixir once, and be done with it. So they spend huge sums of money at the pool store looking for that mythical substance. Or device.

Apparently your coworkers are overpaid, because they'd rather invest money than time.

My pool does not require daily attention, except to just take a quick look to make sure all is OK. I have a SWG and have acid on a drip feed system. I test 1x or 2x a week, usually after we have a big downpour or lots of people in the pool. I vacuum less than once a month (screen enclosure really helps).

But I agree with you - the pool stores sell their "pour all this in once a week and you'll be fine" chemicals and makes it sound so easy.

Anyone can open a pool store and they are instantly an expert and pool professional. I'm not shocked the average person would believe a pool store employee over anyone else. What shocks me is how little the pool store employees AND pool builders actually know.

As a general rule I agree with you regarding the pool stores. The pool builders and pool professionals that we have here on the forum are well versed and quite knowledgable about the easiest way to maintain a pool. I for one salute them! :salut:

The reason old adages (or sayings) stick with us is because they're inherently true, and so it is in this instance as well. Like the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. You can give people all the advice in the world, but it doesn't mean they'll take it, or even be open to it. However, I like the update to the horse adage I recently read somewhere, which is...your job is not to make the horse drink, but rather to make him thirsty. And thus, hanging a picture on your office door will probably go a lot further then all your advice thus far. Good luck!

This about sums it up!
thereisasparkle.jpg

and this
whereisthewater.jpg

and one more to prove a point
IMG_4235-1.jpg

I just had to get that off of my chest! Thanks for listening. Yup. I LIKE to swim in bleach water. :fish: :nemo: :sunny: :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
crek31 said:
Dora - congrats on absolutely beautiful water. Wondering if you recall what your liner is called? Thanks.

When I get home I will look it up in the paperwork that I have saved. I keep everything for the pool in a binder in the garage. That way, I can USUALLY find what I am looking for. All of the outdoor power equipment has a binder as well. Can't be too anal now, can we? :roll:

It is tough.. a good friend has a small AGP, and I've had the "conversation" with him all summer. I went over there the other day and it's all cloudy. I say "what's going on?"... he pulls out his test strips and says "Look, all my levels are perfect except I have too much chlorine". I then notice he has a bottle of Chlor Neutralizer nearby. I shake my head and start in about the test strips, and chlorine level based on CYA. He interupts and says "the guy at the pool store said the CYA thing is a MYTH". Oh boy.

Funny thing is, later that night his wife makes a comment about how tired she is that every weekend, he goes to the pool store and has to spend another $XXXX.

I let it go, but need to remember to bring my test kit next time I go over there...

[/quote]Funny thing is, later that night his wife makes a comment about how tired she is that every weekend, he goes to the pool store and has to spend another $XXXX.

I let it go, but need to remember to bring my test kit next time I go over there...[/quote]

Take along a bill and charge him for the work you will be doing as he obviously likes to spend his money on his pool albeit in the wrong place!

sbluhm said:
It is tough.. a good friend has a small AGP, and I've had the "conversation" with him all summer. I went over there the other day and it's all cloudy. I say "what's going on?"... he pulls out his test strips and says "Look, all my levels are perfect except I have too much chlorine". I then notice he has a bottle of Chlor Neutralizer nearby. I shake my head and start in about the test strips, and chlorine level based on CYA. He interupts and says "the guy at the pool store said the CYA thing is a MYTH". Oh boy.

Funny thing is, later that night his wife makes a comment about how tired she is that every weekend, he goes to the pool store and has to spend another $XXXX.

I let it go, but need to remember to bring my test kit next time I go over there...

Tell your neighbor to ask the guy at the pool store where he got his training and what his qualifications are. Then you can pull up the information from these government sites that explain about over stabilization.

North Caroline Dept of Environment and Natural Resources
City of Lincoln and Lancaster County

crek31 said:
Dora - congrats on absolutely beautiful water. Wondering if you recall what your liner is called? Thanks.

I have just dug up my warranty card for my liner and it says that it is a "24' Rnd Canyon Wht Spkl EZ Bead 52" "
It is a 20mil liner and it looks like the company is called Integrity. Hope this helps you. BTW, thanks for the compliment on the liner. We really like how it looks in the pool. :-D

Thanks-- I love the way water looks on those light backgrounds. The pool I'm looking at doesn't seem to have a stock light liner -- I'll inquire about ordering the liner separately and marrying them. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.