Instant Pool Water Conditioner

ride525

Gold Supporter
Jun 17, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Leslies had this in their email ad today. Just wondered what it was.
Also check the More Info tab here: http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... nditioner/
Instant Pool Water Conditioner is used for stabilizing chlorine in swimming pools from sunlight loss. Unprotected chlorine in swimming pool water can be 95% degraded in just 2 hours of direct sunlight. Chlorine will last many times longer in pool water properly conditioned/stabilized with Instant Pool Water Conditioner.
Regular cyanuric acid with a pH of 2.8 is very acidic and it can take 4 to 7 days to dissolve. This can cause damage to the pool surface or circulation system depending on the method of application. Until it is dissolved, dry cyanuric acid will not protect chlorine from UV loss.
Natural Chemistry’s Instant Pool Water Conditioner is not an acid (it’s a salt) and has a pool friendly pH of about 8.0. Add it to the pool and an instant later it is dissolved and ready to protect your chlorine. One gallon of Instant Pool Water Conditioner will raise the conditioner/stabilizer level in 10,000 gallons by 35ppm.

Thats what the label says, but in reality, it doesnt do really anything to the pH, in my experience. Others may have a differnet experience. I added a gallon of liquid CYA to my 14,000 gallon pool with a TA of 80, and I saw no change in pH. On the other hand, I've added several pounds of granular CYA at one time or another and saw a pH decrease. Enough so I've had to add a bit of borax to bump it up. Partly because I keep my TA on the low side because of my SWCG. A little bit of acid can drop the pH more than a bit of base with a TA of 70-80. Again, my experience. YMMV.

Sportsman said:
I sure don't want to add something with 8.0 pH.
Because of the pH buffering in pool water, adding a product with a pH of 8.0 will have no measurable effect on the pH. Of course, in your situation where you need to add acid regularly, adding pure CYA is acidic enough to make a small difference, though takes some time to dissolve.

FWIW, I just used a jug of this today for a post-acid-wash startup, also using the Leslie's coupon. Although I shook it up pretty well, there were still a lot of "flakes" all around the pool. After a few hours and couple of sweeping sessions it seems to be fully dissolved, but there is definitely a lot of settling in the jug. Right on the instructions is says that after its empty you should fill it, shake it, and pour it again. After a couple times of doing that the water was clear.

In my case it was only 3oz more than I needed to hit 30, so I didn't have to do any measurements, just pour it all in. If you were going to use just part of it, I would be very concerned about accuracy and avoid using it. I don't think it's a good product, and will be using the dry stuff next time.

mt

VegasPoolRat said:
I don't think it's a good product,

Why do you say this? In my experience, it performed exactly as you said. Some settling in the jug, needs to be rinsed out, dissolves fairly fast. Increased my CYA by the said amount. And yes, I wouldnt adding a partial jug, too inacurate. But to add the entire contents, it works just fine.

Why do you say this? In my experience, it performed exactly as you said. Some settling in the jug, needs to be rinsed out, dissolves fairly fast. Increased my CYA by the said amount. And yes, I wouldnt adding a partial jug, too inacurate. But to add the entire contents, it works just fine.

How long do you have to wait to swim after adding instant pool water conditioner??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I personally love the liquid stabilizer ... I don't know why anyone would want to dissolve and wait a week for test results to show up. But then again my pool being only 10,000 gallons might have something to do with it. :)

It does not take a week for results to show up if you dissolve the CYA in a sock or panty hose over a return flow or in a skimmer sock or T-shirt in the skimmer. I do the latter and it always measures soon after dissolving and only takes overnight to dissolve.

The rule for taking up to a week is for those people who pour pure CYA into the skimmer directly so that it gets caught in their filter. Oversized cartridge filters have VERY slow water velocity so the CYA takes a very long time to dissolve.

I personally love the liquid stabilizer ... I don't know why anyone would want to dissolve and wait a week for test results to show up. But then again my pool being only 10,000 gallons might have something to do with it. :)

To each his own, but on a $/ppm basis, liquid CYA products cost twice as much as their granular counterparts. See this thread for details. Aside from cost, the liquid stuff is supposed to be pH neutral but I have never had a problem dealing with the acidity of CYA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem I have with the Instant Conditioner from Leslies or from Walmart.com is that on the label it stats that it will treat 20,000 gallons of water. My pool is 25,000 so I added 2 gallons. Measured CYA was about 25 with a new CYA test kit from TFTestkits.com. Added 2 more gallons to bring CYA level up to 32. Very expensive at $41.03 per gallon.

Two 5.5 lb containers of the dry stuff from Home Depot cost $19 each and was enough to bring my pool up to 70 CYA. That vs four gallons at a cost of $41 each for a total of $160 to achieve only a level of 32 in a similar size pool. If that's right it would have cost me over $300 vs the $40 for my pool. That's why poeple don't buy the liquid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.