Sundek - any durability issues?

Aug 31, 2010
New Caney, TX 77357
We are in the bidding phase of a new in-ground pool project. The new decking installed around the pool will meet up with our existing covered concrete patio. We have met with 2 builders so far and have 1 quote, waiting for the 2nd. The standard decking offering is pea gravel. We do not particularly care for the look of it and it's not comfortable to walk on. We have looked at having Sundek sprayed over the new decking and the existing patio and have a quote for same from the first PB we met with. The 2nd PB does not recommend Sundek and characterized it as not especially durable, subject to staining, chipping, etc. His recommendation would be polymer based overlay but that is over twice the cost of Sundek and would bust our budget.

I have Googled the web searching for any discussions/issues with Sundek durability but I am coming up dry. For those that have had Sundek for several years (or any PBs that participate here) what is your experience?

Pea gravel for a deck!? Sounds awful; it would hurt, and you'd end up with all of it at the bottom of the pool after it stuck to your feet when you jumped in!

I'm not real familiar with Sundek; I have Kool deck and it is crumbling terribly. I posted some photos here, and the verdict was "lousy too-thin installation". That was this spring, and it looks twice as bad now.

Sorry you had a bad experience with your Kool Deck. I've been told by some pool pros in the last couple days that Sundek is a good product if installed correctly. Also got feedback on a non-pool related message board from some owners that have had Sundek installed up to 20 years with no problems.

Oh and it's not loose gravel like you're thinking (if you were serious). It's a concrete deck with gravel sprinkled on just after freshly poured concrete is troweled. Then they lightly wash around it so that it's exposed well. This is like an exposed aggregate finish on a driveway. The look is very "old school" and not something we really care for. Also walked on it and not real comfortable when you're barefoot

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.