Filtration scheme

Aug 29, 2010
HI,

I'm trying to restore an old pool that doesn't currently have a skimmer. I'm cutting out and re-pooring a section of one the walls so I would like your opinion on my idea of where stuff should go.
The old (current) drain works but is a galvanised pipe and I fear that the rust will affect our water quality. I would prefer to go drainless but if I have to have one, the opertunity is there to put one in the cut out in the floor. Just so you understand, the rectangular cut out in the floor was created for drainage when the previous owners decided to fill the pool in with dirt.

So...

What do you think of my simple set up? skimmer etc. locations

no drain?

cement triangular shelf for skimmer (form work)

Thanks

Attachments

• plan.gif
    plan.gif
    48 KB · Views: 209
I'm a novice at this, but I would add another return, ditch the UV and use a 1hp 2speed or a 3/4 hp pump. A main drain is a nice to have, but not a necessity.

There is no need for a UV system in a residential pool....again if you really want one, that's OK, but it will not eliminate the need for an EPA approved residual sanitizer such as Chlorine, Bromine or Baquacil.

I'm think another return in the shallow end on the opposite side to improve circulation.

I'd put three return lines in. 1 1/2" plumbing, straight through the wall so that you can put directional eyeball fittings on to adjust the water direction. Loop the entire system to equalize all of the returns. Put in another 1 1/2" line for a dedicated suction line and bury the main drain. You won't need it with a cleaner.

If you have a prevailing wind, put the skimmer as far downwind as you can. You'll thank me later.

I personally like having a main drain. There's no cold layer as you swim deeper since it all circulates. If you have a robot, that will take care of it. If not, the main drain is also useful when brushing. Sometimes there's only a couple small leaves in the pool, and I can just sweep them into the drain without wrestling the vacuum out.

I really appreciate the help.

I like the idea of U.V. because it will cut down on the quantity of clorine needed.

I actually prefer the idea of more returns, I just don't know where to put them. In the shallow end pointing toward the skimmer I presume.

How low below the water level should they be? and do they both need to be at the same level?

The returns are there to "help" the water towards the skimmer. Richard's suggestion of paying attention to the prevailing wind is solid, and will help also. Returns are typically placed 18" below water level.

I will see if I can find a structural plan that shows the skimmer detail and scan and post it. Probably won't be until sometime tomorrow though.

I'm going back to the drawing board on this as now that you've pointed out the winds presents in this factor, I see that the skimmer should be in the deep end on the same wall.

Thanks so much for the scan.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
brownsburg said:

I like the idea of U.V. because it will cut down on the quantity of chlorine needed.

Your welcome :goodjob: UV is a good idea in commercial pools and a great marketing idea for residential pools. The bulk of chlorine consumption in residential pools is from sunlight and not organic matter. UV may reduce organic matter, but again the amount of chlorine used to accomplish the same is minimal. You still need to maintain the same adequate FC levels whether you use UV, FC, the Frog, Nature 2, etc...or not. Again the bulk of that FC in a residential pool, with even moderate bather load, will be consumed by sunlight and not bather load.

dmanb2b said:
brownsburg said:

I like the idea of U.V. because it will cut down on the quantity of chlorine needed.

Your welcome :goodjob: UV is a good idea in commercial pools and a great marketing idea for residential pools. The bulk of chlorine consumption in residential pools is from sunlight.

And sunlight is U.V. so adding a puny little lamp compared to the sun is a waste of money. U.V. uses up chlorine so your lamp will just add a tiny little bit more U.V. to use up some more chlorine, the reverse of what you want to achieve.

U.V. for commercial indoor pools.

I'm going to try and post up the skimmer detail. I'm not sure how well it will show, so PM me if you want me to email/fax it to you!

Attachments

• Skimmer Detail 001.jpg
    Skimmer Detail 001.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 148
Thanks so much for the reassuring plans.

Here is my new schematic, having taken into consideration the wind and the need for an additional return. Let me know what you think about the two different size pipes to try to even out the pressure on these.

Is the 1.5 Hayward super my best choice or should I go for something more efficient?

I'm keeping the U.V. as my son lost most of his spleen and has almost no immune system.

I really want to thank everyone for all there input up until now, you've been great. I'll be a long time member :cool:

Attachments

• plan2.gif
    plan2.gif
    34.7 KB · Views: 127
I would still stay with one size pipe and loop the entire pool. It is just a little bit more pipe than what you show, and then you would be assured of equal flow. I would seriously do three returns and not two also. You'll appreciate it long after you forget how much work it was!

Seconded! You would save pipe if you put a T midway and then fed roughly equal runs to the returns I would still use three returns setting the third one deeper to stir the lower part of the water.

Sorry to hear about your Son's condition but I cant think how U.V. would help with a compromised immune system (I also have a compromised immune system so would appreciate your thoughts on the matter)

From what I've read, U.V. filters kill more bacteria than clorine.

Can the complete circuit(loop) around the pool be done in flex pipe? I guess they have "T" fittings for this?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-01 at 12.14.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-01 at 12.14.39 PM.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 89
Looks like that table came right from the UV manufacturer's website. It's not a total lie, but is definitely misleading. Without a fast-acting sanitizer in the pool water, the pool will not be sanitary. UV can only kill stuff in the UV chamber, leaving all the algae/bacteria/etc growing on the walls of the pool untouched. It is a waste of money. Yes, it will kill crypto/giardia while chlorine doesn't do that all that well. But again, that's only in the UV chamber, not in the pool itself. You get plenty of UV for free from the sun for burning off chloramines.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.