what the heck is the trick with the Ladder

Jul 25, 2010
My husband and I have tried several times to install our A Frame ladder and can't seem to get it right. It a monster to get into the pool and just seems to wobblie. The fin thats on the back of the ladder keeps touching the wall of the pool and those stupid metal poles are a joke. I read the instructiions and we are going to try taking it out again and starting from scratch. Does anyone have any tricks or tips for the A frame ladder installs, up keep and what not??

I looked all over the ladder and instruction and the only thing it says is its a Latham Plastics ladder.

LOL! At least I'm not the only one. I plan on using bricks in ziplocks to weight it down but haven't gotten back to it. I also need to get the right bolts to connect it to the top rails. Thing floated all over on me just trying to see if I had it set right.

I've been using a step ladder on the outside to get in and out since it's just family swimming for now.

Do you guys mean floaty or wobbly like a piece of junk :scratch: filling with water won't help if it floating...try filling it with sand...the fill material should be heavier than the water it's sitting in.

I will take apic of it later today-

It not that our ladder isn't heavy because dang it is. It takes two people with some arm power to get it in and out without killing yourself. The issue is I can't get it to set right on the bottom and the fin on the back wants to touch the wall of the pool. The those two junky poles that stay on the outside of the pool aren't great support for the ladder. After reading around I read that someone used 4x4's and sunk them into the ground to attach their ladder to to make it not want to rock around. The ladder is solid but moves to much. SO my husband thinks we should fill the outside poles with cement and then attach the ladder to it. Also how do you store the take off ladder? I thought it would just flip up and lock but no it doesn't and we have four small kids so I was thinking of chain locking it to the yard gate for safety. Then again I looked around and found some ladders online that had built in locks and what not. Does anyone have any info on those?? What do you do for safety of your ladder from little ones??

This may not be applicable to your situation, if not I apologize for bringing it up. I would not want to lock a ladder in the up position. If someone fell in I would want them to have an easy way out of the pool.

What I did was run 14 guage plain white lamp wire around the pool's metal beam under the ladder on a 24'x12" ultra frame Intex pool. Then connect that to an "flush head" eye bolt that was drilled into and bolted down to the ladder's top step. Compression fittings under the ladder's top step hold the wire taught. With me sitting on the ladder to "compress" the ladder I then tightened the nut attached to the eye bolt until the ladder's legs expanded and the strain just barely started to bend the plastic top step. The top step is 4" above the metal beam so you can barely see the wire unless you are looking for it.

Not perfectly stable like the ladders sunk into cement pools but 200% better than before.
At least when you are at the top of the ladder it doesn't feel like it is going to fall over on you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.