Hole in panel, how do I open DE filter w/o decapitation??

Aug 1, 2007
I noticed dirt coming back into the pool from the returns. Someone told me it was due to a hole in one of the filter panels and it had to be replaced. So I just replaced a panel in my DE filter and had to pay @ $120 bucks for it. Now there is more dirt on the floor again, and I'm thinking it is another panel with a hole in it.

I can buy a panel for @ $25 bucks but I do not want to injure myself in doing it. My thoughts are, as long as I cut off the power and then take the top off the filter and replace panel, I will be alright.

Is there any depressurizing I need to do before hand? Please help.

thanks!

Turn pump/filter off. Open the bleeder valve. Remvoe the metal band (or whatever it is) holding the top on the filter base. After it's off, I then turn the pump on and off quickly to break the seal and push the top up a bit. Should come right off after that.

Yes, you should release any pressure in the filter before openning it up. It would also be a good idea to backwash first.

You backwash, then turn off the pump (be sure it won't come on while you are working), then open the vent valve on top of the unit, give it a minute or two to drain, then open the whole filter up. Each manufacturer makes the vent valve a little differently, they are generally next to the pressure gauge.

Keep track of what goes where as you take it apart, so that you can get everything in the right place when putting it back together.

so I just turn off the pump right...there is no turning off the DE filter switch or electric cord that I need to unplug or cutting the electricity completely off?

Is there anything that I need to do once I put the new panel in? Or just replace the panel, put the top back on, tighten the metal band and turn the pump on? Does it pressurize itself?

No worries about electricity with the filter, just turn the pump off.

Everything goes back together the way it came apart. The only extra step is that once everything is back together and the pump is running you may need to vent the air out of the filter. A few filters do this automatically, but most require you to open the vent valve and let air out until it changes to water and then close the vent valve.

If you do dis-assemble the filter and the panels, note the orientation of the panels. (Mine are different sizes. Don't know if that's a standard thing or not) Also note the top and bottom bracket orientations and how they are positioned on/around the filter filler tube.

I have a pentair DE filter. During final construction work there was a storm and lots of mud got into the pool, which the DE got out, but clogged. I took it apart to clean it better... I see now that I could have just taken out the assembly and washed it down assembled, but I took off wing nuts and took out each panel and cleaned them and tried to keep it all in order to put back together the same way... after a few tries I figured out that the only panel that REALLY mattered was the short one where the manifold has to line up. All the other panels are the same size and could go anywhere. Taking the panels out one by one made me dread putting it back together. If you're good at puzzles it will be fun. :?
Next time I will just lift the whole thing out and rinse it off. Unless the hole you're looking for is BIG I think it will be very difficult finding THE hole in the midst of all the normal holes in those panels.
If you paid someone $125 to fix a hole and the hole isn't fixed, I'd be calling them back to fix it.

My novice opinion
mcmeekin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.