Newbie questions

Aug 30, 2010
Greetings All!

I've been lurking here a bit before actually joining (will be a TFP Supporter soon), and will admit that I'm still quite a bit "wet behind the ears" (pun intended) even after reading everything within the Pool School section and tons of posts within this thread. I've got some questions I'm hoping that some of you might be willing to help me out with.

For starters, here's my equipment list (not installed yet, and you'll see why below):

24'x54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP - 13,500 Gallon, full resin plate, uprights, and rails
Beaded liner using J-track install
AO Smith 1 HP 2 SPD pump
Hayward Clearwater II 75 Sq. Ft. Cartridge filter

1. I've done with the excavation, and am planning on installing the pool this weekend. Since I live in Michigan, it's getting pretty close to "closing time" so we're pretty much going to winterize it and not even use it this season. I'm only going to fill the pool to be just under the return line, and am not even going to install the pump/filter. What I'm not sure of is with the water not getting circulated/treated, how many days do I have before I need to put the winterizing chemicals in?

2. Can I just put the winterizing chems in and be ok, or do I need to initially shock/treat the water before I do so? Keep in mind that no one is going to be swimming in the pool before it's closed.

3. I feel that I've got the right size pump for the pool, but I don't know if the pool store sold me the right size filter for it. Is a 75 Sq. Ft. cartridge filter going to be good enough for a 24'x54" pool? This was the best package that the pool store offered.

4. The package we bought included a Frog system. Now, I've read and understand the risks and issues with the Frog system, so we really don't want to use it. We'll be using the BBB method. However, there's a pretty good chance that the pool store won't take the Frog system back to give us a credit/refund since it was all lumped into the package price. So, we're wondering if we'd be okay in using the Frog for the first year since they've already given us the chemicals needed for the first season and then switch to BBB for the second and subsquent seasons. Or, should we just try to sell the thing?

5. I know a couple of you have installed the Nitelighter lights - I think some of you have the 100W color changing, and maybe a few with the solid white. I decided to get the Aurora LED model, which does color changing as well. I can't seem to find anyone else that's used it yet. If anyone has, can they comment on how good it works? Guess I will be the guineau pig, but will not be able to provide feedback on it until next season.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice,

Tru-Blu
Lambertville, MI

My personal opinion would be to store the entire pool until next spring and install it then. Unless there's really a good reason to do it now, that's what I'd do.

1. You need some way to circulate the water. You can use a submersible pump if you have one.

2. Are you using chlorinated water for the fill? If so then you shouldn't need to shock it.

3. 75 sqft is a bit small for that pool. I'd see if I could trade it and the Frog system in for a larger filter.

4. See 3 above. If they won't allow anything toward a larger filter it's ok to use it a little while. If you don't replace the mineral pak the metals shouldn't build up enough to be an issue in a few uses.

5. I have an NLMC (Nitelighter Multicolor) and like it. Let us know how the Aurora works for you.

I called the pool place and actually got them to agree to switch out the Frog System and 1 HP Pump/75 Sq. Ft. filter for a 1.5 HP / 150 Sq. Ft. filter (the pump IS a 2 speed pump). I screwed up the brand - it's a Waterway Clearwater II system. I'm assuming the pump is another A.O. Smith, but don't know for sure yet. They're out of stock, so I won't be able to do the swap until next Spring.

Bama Rambler, would this setup be better for my pool?

Thanks again for the help,

TRU

I requested that, but the pump/filter comes as a complete boxed unit from the manufacturer, and they have to resell it that way. So, it was pretty much going to the 1.5 HP (still 2 speed, though) if I wanted the 150 Sq. Ft. filter.

I'm assuming that the lower speed on the 1.5 Hp will use a little bit more energy than the 1 Hp, correct?

Out of curiosity, what would be the main reason for needing to go from the 75 sq ft. to the 150 sq. ft. Is the filter more efficient/effective, or am I just going to get longer usage between cleanings?

Thanks,

TRU

You'll get lower head loss with a bigger filter and you'll also get longer intervals between cleaning.

The 1½hp pump will be fine. It'll only use a very little more power on low speed than the one hp on low will.

It's basically the restriction to flow created by anything in the system. A bigger filter allows the same amount of water to flow more easily through it, thereby creating less restriction to the flow, I.E. lower head loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.