Water analysis report - help translating.

Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hopefully our loan will get funded next week for our new house and we'll be owning our first pool. I really like what I've read about the BBB method and understand that everyone recommends the TF-100 test kits. Prior to owning the house I went by today and grabbed a sample and took it to Leslie's pools since it's around the corner and I haven't purchased my test kit yet.

My main objective was to find out if in fact they're still utilizing the pool service, it seems they are, and to get a preliminary report so I know what we'll be dealing with in a week or so. I realize a lot of people look down on the pool store testing but this is what I have available to me right now.

The pool is approx 12000 gallons and is a free from. From the looks of things they're using chlorine tablets in a floater. If anybody could offer any helpful advice or suggestions with the below results I'd appreciate it. When we move into the house we'll be converting the pool to the BBB method. Thank you!

FAC - 5
TAC - 5
CH - 350
CYA - 100
TA - 90
pH - 7.5
Copper - 0
Iron - 0
TDS - 1000
Pho - 1500

EDIT: He recommended using Phos Free to drop the phosphate level.

Hmmm...typical puck issues;

CYA too high, FC too low.

I would wait for your test kit before you do anything and check your water yourself...any or all of those values could be way off. If the CYA is truly that high you need to raise the FC and drop some water to reduce the CYA. Your CH is high also but that might be normal for your area, many areas have high calcium levels in the fill water.

Since your anxious to do it right I would only do one thing on move in day, raise the FC to an appropriate level for the measured CYA level when you get your kit...it wouldn't be a bad idea to shock the pool right away to avoid the inevitable algae bloom when you convert to BBB as a next step. Once you get some solid numbers you can post your info here to get some good advice...and forget the phosphates.

...read pool school! :whip:

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but my situation was similar...I had a much higher CYA level which made shocking impossible....you can consider yourself lucky.

I agree with the above advice - get your own test kit for when you take possession. The CYA test vial only goes up to 100 so it could actually be higher. So with your own kit you can confirm if it really is that high (or higher) and then begin to replace water to lower the CYA level.

Phosphates are algae food. However, if you maintain proper FC levels (according to the CYA chart) then the phosphate level becomes irrelevant. Some tout the benefits of phosphate removers but it's our recommendation on the forum that they are unnecessary (and a money maker for the pool stores...)

Thanks for the advice thus far. I'm still trying to read and comprehend everything that's in pool school, work and family keep me really busy and it's a little intimidating right now. I've been waiting for final confirmation on the house deal before I buy the test kit just due to the expense of it... Along with that I'll be getting "the pool cleaner", chemical supplies (bleach, etc.), solar pool cover.

I just ordered the test kit so we'll see what happens when it gets here. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.