Optimum TA level

kal2002

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I have been adding MA to reduce pH to 7.3 almost everyday. Meanwhile, TA was decreasing. I did the weekly testing today and it is at 60. Here is the rest of the test:

FC - 6
CC - 0
pH - 7.6 (targeted at 7.3 daily)
TA - 60
CH - 340
CYA - 70

Should I increase TA to 90?

Thanks.

Why are you wanting your pH at exactly 7.3?
Most people let the pH settle where it likes to be and as long as it's between 7.2 and 7.8 it's fine.
I'd suggest leaving it alone for a few days and see where it likes to stay at.
Obviously, if it gets above 7.8 you should adjust it down.

Leave your TA alone for now.

Your TA will continue to decrease as long as you continue to add acid to the pool.

As Bama suggested, you might consider backing off a bit and see if your pH can find a happy place somewhere between 7.2 and 7.8. Most pools do as long as the TA is not high and yours is not.

I try to keep pH at 7.3 or 7.4 because it has been suggested to me to keep it around that level due to high CH and TA. TA was 120 a month ago. Now that it is much lower, maybe that was why pH kept wanting to remain between 7.5 and 7.8. I will leave it alone for now. Regarding TA at 60, it is not within the recommended range of 70 to 90. Will that be ok? Thanks.

kal2002 said:
I try to keep pH at 7.3 or 7.4 because it has been suggested to me to keep it around that level due to high CH and TA. TA was 120 a month ago. Now that it is much lower, maybe that was why pH kept wanting to remain between 7.5 and 7.8. I will leave it alone for now. Regarding TA at 60, it is not within the recommended range of 70 to 90. Will that be ok? Thanks.
My guess is yes. Test your fill water - it's probably pretty high in CH and TA. So the next time you add water, it will get back up.

Maybe that's just where your pool wants to be. My pool seems to stabilize at 90. I can work,work,work at driving it down and in 2 days it will be back to 90. And then it will just sit there for weeks. I'll add acid to adjust pH every couple days, but TA just sits there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.