LED spa light install depth?

jvmjr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 21, 2010
Oklahoma
Why do they need to be 18" under the water. I am having a large sun ledge and would REALLY like to have a spa light on it. It would be 10" deep so I could have the light 4" under the water line. Can someone tell me if this would work or why it isn't possible. I am running out of time to make a decision. Thank you in advance.
Jay

Not sure if this is true or not. I have been told that due to a possible shock hazard they do not want someone in the water with their hand on the deck and the light by their heart. So if it is deeper than 18" it will be lower than most people chest.

You might make sure it's listed for depths less than 18". Found this clip of the codes regarding pool light fixtures.

You must install an underwater luminaire so the top of the lens is at least 18 in. below the normal water level of the pool, unless it's listed and identified for use at lesser depths [680.23(A)(5)]. Transformers used to supply underwater luminaires must be listed as a swimming pool and spa transformer — and be of the isolating-winding type with a grounded metal barrier between the primary and secondary windings [680.23(A)(2)]. Branch circuits that supply underwater luminaires greater than 15V must be GFCI protected [680.23(A)(3)].

In 680.2, the NEC defines three general categories of underwater luminaires. Specifics, such as the wiring methods allowed to the forming shell and bonding requirements, are included for each type as follows:

•Wet-niche [680.23(B)].
•Dry-niche [680.23(C)].
•No-niche [680.23(D)].

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.