Vacuums

jj

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
I have another question. In fact I have a million questions :)
But this one is about the vacuum cleaner head that came with our pool.
It's triangle shaped, brushes on the bottom, blue and it only pulls backwards. Is that right? Is that the way it works or what?
You can't push it forward unless you want to exude some real strength and maybe, I'm afraid, after time dislodge the vinyl liner.
My hub even just pulls it. And then lifts it up and moves it and pulls again.
Hey, I've done a lot of vacuuming in my life and this just doesn't seem right to me :?
I read a article that said get a vacuum for a inground pool.
But then when I look at them they say NOT FOR AGP! jenn

There are two possible differences. First, vacuum heads are made differently for plaster and vinyl. Second, above ground pools frequently come with very small pumps that are not up to the task of a full sized vacuum head. Some smaller vacuum heads will work at the lower flow rates of the smaller pumps, but stick to the surface too tightly at higher flow rates.

If you have a reasonably sized pump/filter try an inground vacuum head designed for a vinyl liner pool.

Jenn, with your AG pool, you need to somehow reduce the suction, as your skimmer is the only port to pull from. What you are doing is drawing from a single port, this puts all the suction onto the vac, making the vac head stick to the floor. In the past, I have drilled a hole in the 'skim-vac plate' to reduce the suction.

If you need more on what I've suggested, simply ask. Good job coming here to find out the BEST way to care for your pool!! :cheers:

We have a 1 3/4 hp pump for our 12'x24' oval above ground pool. Is that reasonable Jason? We have no idea.
Thanks for the hint, waste...we'll do the drilling...what have we got to lose?:)

Jenn, at some time in the future, you may want to look at an autocleaner for your pool. These are GREAT additions to the pool, put in and go about some other business. SOME of those made for IG and AG can be used interchangeably, not all. A lot of the problems with vacs are the work involved. Keeping the stuff from getting to the bottom of the pool is the best way to avoid the work.

Covers, good skimmer/return configurations, leaf nets, gadgets like Poolbuster, Poolskim, etc., are all ways to avoid the hard work - our goal is to spend most of the time having fun in the pool and find the easiest way to maintain it well in the shortest amount of time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.