3/4 of an inch loss in water

chris4150

LifeTime Supporter
Hello all,

Wanted to verify if I should be concerned. I noticed that my water level has been dropping a bit quicker than normal.

As of recent Houston has been 98 degrees for several days straight, except for yesterday and today it reached 95. Be that as it may, last night I filled the water back to its normal location and marked it with a pen. 24 hours later the water level has dropped approximatley 3/4 of an inch. Is this within a normal evaporation range or should I be concerned. I have walked the perimeter of the pool and have not noticed any wet spots. The pool equipement appears dry and no air bubbles are observed emitting out of any of the drains or returns, except for the ozonator return. What are yalls thoughts.

chris

The best way I know to find out is with a 'bucket test'. Find a bucket, fill it half to 3/4 with water, and set it in the pool on a step or milk crate or something to support it so that the top is above the pool's water line. Mark the bucket water level on the inside of the bucket, and mark the pool water level on the outside of the bucket. Make a note of the time.
Next day, check and mark the levels again. If the bucket water drops the same amount as the pool water, there is no leak. If the pool drops more than the bucket, you have a leak.
Oh - if the bucket drops more than the pool, then ... Well, I dunno - that's not sposed to happen. Maybe you have an auto-fill system or a leaky bucket. ;) ;)

I am also seeing about that much loss in my above ground this past week. I put in about an 1 1/2" on Saturday and by Wednesday it was about an inch down. I think this is the hottest week we have had all year!
We are supposed to be in the low 90's next week. See if the rate of loss slows down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.