Balanced pool causing itchiness? could it be...

HardTrance9

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2009
Los Cabos
Hi all,

One of the pools caused itchiness to one guest some days ago, but the strange thing is that the pool levels were ok..

8,500 gallons
bleach pool
FC: 5
pH: 7.5
TA: 110
CH: 250
CYA: 70

Do you read anything wrong here?

I need to add one thing that I am not sure if it could be the source of this itchiness.... The pool has a problem with the drain and some other plumbing installation, so it was decided by the contractor taking care of this problem, to close the pool drain valve so it won't leak..(apart from other issues)..

Do you think that this could be the source of the itchiness? I was just thinking something like "maybe if water doesn't circulate well... chlorine gets accumulated in the pool causing maybe the skin to itch?"... but I have no support on this thought.. is just an idea.. + the FC level is in range..

What do you think?

I'm fairly new to this myself, having owned/maintained a pool for only 6 months. But some thoughts are:
- FC 5 is on the low end for CYA 70. See the CL / CYA chart: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
- Did the itchiness occur to only 1 guest as you stated? Maybe that person has sensitive skin. My son with mild eczema gets dry skin / rash if I use the wrong sunscreen or lotion on him.
- With the drain shut off, I would wonder how well the water is circulating. Try testing water samples from different spots / depths.

I don't see much in those numbers that would cause one person's skin to itch when nobody else's did. I agree with dchan as far as not letting that FC go lower than that.

HardTrance9 said:
Hi all,

One of the pools caused itchiness to one guest some days ago, but the strange thing is that the pool levels were ok..

8,500 gallons
bleach pool
FC: 5
pH: 7.5
TA: 110
CH: 250
CYA: 70

Do you read anything wrong here?

I need to add one thing that I am not sure if it could be the source of this itchiness.... The pool has a problem with the drain and some other plumbing installation, so it was decided by the contractor taking care of this problem, to close the pool drain valve so it won't leak..(apart from other issues)..

Do you think that this could be the source of the itchiness? I was just thinking something like "maybe if water doesn't circulate well... chlorine gets accumulated in the pool causing maybe the skin to itch?"... but I have no support on this thought.. is just an idea.. + the FC level is in range..

What do you think?
CC level is...? Those are the irritants, I'd check that.

Thanks guys. Seems like the person might be sensitive. There were two people, and only one felt the itchiness...

I know skin on every person is different but oh well... Once a pool with 6 people was being used and only one guy got itchy.. pH was at 7.8 and once it was lowered to 7.5 he felt much better.. (he even had his own test kit, so don't know if it was more psychological or rational or so..but it worked to have it a 7.5 :) )....

By the way CC was "0".

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.