Algae and FC @19 PPM

bluskyguy

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2009
Charlotte NC
Heres the short of it. Water is clear with visible algae on bottom and sides (when brushed last nite,green cloud appears).
I had algae a little over a week ago and dumped 4 lbs of 99 proof dichlor (strong stuff) into pool. I went away on vacation
for the week and wanted this stuff gone. Tested FC in the morning before I left. 30PPM . Came home yesterday early evening
with these results using TF-100 kit. FC 19PPM CYA about 90PPM. Ph appears to be 7.5 but who knows with FC so high
TA is unknown. I used the kit as described. Mixed in chemical solution turns green, slowly add other chemical and solution
turns yellow (high FC). Color is supposed to change to red to determine TA.After about 30 drops,which would have been
a TA of 300, I gave up as solution was still yellow? Take care of algae first, then attempt PH and TA adjustments? Oh
and the CC level was 1PPM but does that matter I can see the algae. Thanks

First and foremost, you have not shocked the pool. With a CYA of 90 your shock level is 35ppm. You will have to reach, and maintain that level as often as hourly until you pass the OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test). Don't worry about your other levels until you're done shocking.

I understand dichlor raises my CYA which I dont want. Im off to get some bleach. The pool calculator is a little
confusing. If someone could confirm the amount of bleach I need to get my FC up to a shock level of 35 PPM,
I would appreciate it. Thanks

It takes 11 gallons (not jugs) of 6% bleach to raise the FC to 35ppm in a 19k pool. Be sure to subtract your existing FC at the time you put the Clorox in the pool so your dosage will be less.

bluskyguy said:
I understand dichlor raises my CYA which I dont want. Im off to get some bleach. The pool calculator is a little
confusing. If someone could confirm the amount of bleach I need to get my FC up to a shock level of 35 PPM,
I would appreciate it. Thanks
5 gallons of 6% will bring it up to 35 ppm, at the time you tested FC. Probably more, now.

What's your Calcium level? You may have "room" to use Calcium Hypochlorite, which is a powder, and therefore easier to carry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.