Trying to get the most out of my small yard

May 21, 2010
Hi everyone! I've loved reading through this forum, I'm learning so much!

I live in Oakland, California so space is an issue. I have a backyard that's enclosed by fences on our property lines. I think that we can fit a 15'x24' AGP back there but was wondering about a couple of factors:

1) how much space do you suggest I leave between the pool wall/railing edge and the fences? I'm wondering what the minimum working space I might need to do things like replace the liner, when need be, or do some type of repair.

2) How large is a 8 mil solar blanket rolled up on a reel? I would like to set the reel up at the narrow end of the pool up against the fence, but I need to know how wide the roll will be so that I can place the pool far enough away from the fence so that the rolled up blanket doesn't overlap with the pool at all.

Thanks for all of your feedback in advance!

Tammi

Thanks for the quick responses!

Hmmm...3' huh? I may have to go down to a 12'x24 then. Sportsman, that's the size of your pool, do you find it sufficiently large enough for let's say 3 kids playing and 3 adults lounging on floaties?

With a 15'x24' I would be able to have 2.5' on either side of the 24' walls. Then I could have 4' on the 15' wall with the solar reel. And 10' on the other 15' wall where the entrance will be. Do you think this is doable Bama Rambler?

Yeah, sportsman, I actually had to get a builder's permit because of the size of the pool. Anything over 5,000 gallons requires a permit. We don't have a setback rule for te pool itself, luckily just a 5' setback for the pump.

lil'_fixer said:
Thanks for the quick responses!

Hmmm...3' huh? I may have to go down to a 12'x24 then. Sportsman, that's the size of your pool, do you find it sufficiently large enough for let's say 3 kids playing and 3 adults lounging on floaties?

With a 15'x24' I would be able to have 2.5' on either side of the 24' walls. Then I could have 4' on the 15' wall with the solar reel. And 10' on the other 15' wall where the entrance will be. Do you think this is doable Bama Rambler?

Yeah, sportsman, I actually had to get a builder's permit because of the size of the pool. Anything over 5,000 gallons requires a permit. We don't have a setback rule for te pool itself, luckily just a 5' setback for the pump.

shows how different rules can be from city to city. I had zero setback rules on my pump so I can hide it behind my pool. I set my pool diagonally in the corner so I have landscaping behind it and it give me some working room.

First, we'd always like bigger BUT 12x24 is enough for 2 adults 2 kids to play. I think 3 adults on floaties would be tight. We'll do two on tubes. Haven't tried full floaties because of extra size.

Awesome! 15'x24' it is!

Yeah, I was worried the a 12' wide pool would be a little narrow for adults to be on full size loungers, which is a must for my family. So I'm really glad you guys think the larger pool is doable in my yard! Now to level the hard clay dirt. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Thanks for all of your feedback!

Go get a couple of survey flagging tapes at the local hardware store. Put corner stakes for the pool and run tape between the stakes giving you an outline of the pool. Now mark the outline of your deck the same way with a different color tape. You can mark off the equipment pad as well.

Now you can position furniture, walk around, look from the windows, and get a good idea how the pool with sit in your lot.

another one said:
Go get a couple of survey flagging tapes at the local hardware store. Put corner stakes for the pool and run tape between the stakes giving you an outline of the pool. Now mark the outline of your deck the same way with a different color tape. You can mark off the equipment pad as well.

Now you can position furniture, walk around, look from the windows, and get a good idea how the pool with sit in your lot.

I used stakes and a garden hose to mark mine including standing trying to imagine playing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.