sand in pool

Jun 4, 2007
New Jersey
Hi, I've been trying to remove alot of sand that is sitting on the deep end of my pool. I have vacummed to waste several times and as soon as I turn the filter the back on after vacumming from waste I can see all the sand return to the pool from the return line. Is there a way of permanently removing the sand without it coming back in again?

There is a good chance you have a filter problem. Your filter shouldn't let any sand through. You could have too much sand in the filter, but the most likely cause is a damaged lateral in the filter or a fit issue with the top of the tube inside the filter.

As JohnT said, no matter where the sand came from it should not get past the filter. This could be a problem with the muti-port valve, or the filter. Are you sure you are not putting it in recirculate by accident (there could still be sand in the pipes when you come out of vacuuming)?

No, I'm vacuuming to waste and then I put it back on filter. As soon as it goes into filter, I put my hand on the return line and I can feel the sand going right back into the pool. What do I check first? I'm not handy, is this something I can fix myself or will I need to call the pool store?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.